Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day that the inside of my front tires are wearing much more than the rest of the tire (12K miles). The book says the front camber should be -0.70.

The alignment shop changed the camber close to 0. Was this a good idea and left everything else set to factory Z06 specs? I must say I wasn't to impressed with the tech doing the work.

Would changing the alignment to the standard C5 be recomended? Any ideas would greatly appreciative. I don't track the car and usually drive pretty easy.

Thanks
Stan

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
This is the factory specifications for the ZO6, 01 and up. These are different than regular C5 specifications, so some shops alignment machines may not have the right databases loaded to show this:

Front Individual Toe +0.04 degree +/- 0.10 degree

Front Sum Toe +0.08 degree +/- 0.20 degree

Front Individual Caster +6.9 degree +/- 0.50 degree

Front Cross Caster within +/- 0.25 degree

Front Individual Camber -0.70 degree +/-0.50
degree

Front Cross Camber within +/-0.25 degree

Rear Individual Toe -0.01 degree +/- 0.10 degree

Rear Sum Toe -0.02 degree +/- 0.20 degree

Rear Individual Camber -0.68 degree +/- 0.50 degree

Rear Cross Camber within +/- 0.50 degree
For more aggressive track/street use, increase front individual camber to 1.0 degrees, and rear individual camber to .8 degrees, while reducing front toe to .06 degrees, and rear toe to the minimum (.01 degrees). This is a very drivable setup and increases mechanical grip noticably. Some auto-crossers will get even more agressive, setting rear camber at 1.1 degrees and front at 1.5 degrees, and toe-out the front at .02 degrees, but this will cause a lot of tire wear on the street, and make the car a little "darty" on regular surface streets, but makes them really grab on tight courses on marginal surfaces

This is what I got from previous posts, I think this is from the service manual:

LEFT & RIGHT FRONT:

Camber: Specified Range: -1.2 to -0.2 Optimal: -0.7
Caster: Specified Range: 6.4 to 7.4 Optimal 6.9
Toe: Specified Range: 0.15 to 0.25 Optimal 0.20

FRONT
Cross Camber: Specified Range: -0.5 to 0.5 Optimal: 0.0
Cross Caster: Specified Range: -0.5 to 0.5 Optimal: 0.0
Total Toe: Specified Range: 0.30 to 0.50 Optimal: 0.40

LEFT & RIGHT REAR
Camber: Specified Range: -1.2 to -0.2 Optimal: -0.7
Toe: Specified Range: -0.06 to 0.05 Optimal: -0.005

REAR
Total Toe: Specified Range: -0.11 to 0.09 Optimal: -0.01
Thrust Angle: Specified Range: -0.10 to 0.10 Optimal: 0.00

Alignment measurements are in degrees

Front Alignment Specs Service Allowable Service Preferred
Front Individual Toe +0.14 to -0.06 degrees +0.04 degrees
Front Sum Toe +0.28 to -0.12 degrees +0.08 degrees
Front Individual Camber +0.50 to -0.70 degrees -0.20 degrees
Front Cross Camber +/- 0.25 degrees within 0.50 degrees
Front Individual Caster +6.4 to +7.4 degrees 6.9 degrees
Front Cross Caster +/- 0.25 degrees within 0.50 degrees
Steering Wheel Angle +1.0 to -1.0 degrees 0.00 degrees

Rear Alignment Specs Service Allowable Service Preferred
Rear Individual Toe +0.09 to -0.11 degrees -0.01 degrees
Rear Sum Toe +0.18 to -0.22 degrees -0.02 degrees
Rear Thrust Angle +0.10 to - 0.10 degrees 0.00 degrees
Rear Individual Camber +0.32 to -0.68 degrees -0.18 degrees
Rear Cross Camber -- within 0.50 degrees

-or-

Front Individual Toe: +0.04 degree +/- 0.10 degree
Front Sum Toe: +0.08 degree +/- 0.20 degree
Front Individual Caster: +6.9 degree +/- 0.50 degree
Front Cross Caster: within +/- 0.25 degree
Front Individual Camber: -0.70 degree +/-0.50 degree
Front Cross Camber: within +/-0.25 degree
Rear Individual Toe: -0.01 degree +/- 0.10 degree
Rear Sum Toe: -0.02 degree +/- 0.20 degree
Rear Individual Camber: -0.68 degree +/- 0.50 degree
Rear Cross Camber: within +/- 0.50 degree

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It l Go,
I know these are from the service manual...I have them. I was just concern about the amount of Camber was causing the inside tire wear.. (Front Individual Camber -0.70 degree +/-0.50 degree)

The tech set the camber very close to zero degrees. My concern was is this a good idea with nothing else changed.

Stan

·
Registered
620 Posts
Stan,
Yes, that is fine to set camber near 0 degrees.
Most likely that is where the uneven wear is coming from.
What you did not tell us was where the camber was set before it was changed. Do you have that info?

You will find that the specs are virtually the same for the C5 and the Z06. The difference is the camber which you have changed.
This seems to be one of the most misunderstood topics on the forum.
You can have a Z06 and a C5 with identical alignment settings and both be within specs for their car.
Good luck with it.
Dave

·
Registered
131 Posts
O degree front camber shouldn't wear the insides of tires, if anything you would be wearing the outside shoulders. -.70 also should not be enough to cause abnormal wear.
Where is your toe setting at? It sounds like you have some toe out. If the tech didn't readjust toe, dialing in more positive camber would cause toe out...if I'm remembering my alignment for front steer cars correctly ;)
Toe out is the killer of tires inside edges!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good info guys. I'll need to find a good ailgenment shop in the LA area. This little town where I live has two shops and both have allot to be desired.

Stan

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
If the tech didn't readjust toe, dialing in more positive camber would cause toe out...if I'm remembering my alignment for front steer cars correctly ;)
Toe out is the killer of tires inside edges!
You are correct. As camber comes down (less negative), the toe goes out (for the front wheels).

Wearing out the inside edge of the tires is pretty common. I'm still not sure if it is the negative camber, or toe, or more likely, combination of both.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Subdriver,
Is there any numerical relationship / ratio you might suggest? For instance, for a new set of Proxes T1s (all street driving but I love the way the Z corners now) I was going to back off the camber 'a little' - from my studies in the forum maybe to -.50 or -.35. If I did that where would you take the toe? If the camber is halved (-.35), would the toe go to +.02?

The orig SCs are down to secondary rubber after 11k of street driving and 4 auto-x events. My auto-x days are over, and I would like more miles about of the new tires. As always, any help very appreciated.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
No, sorry, I don't have any accurate thumbrules like that. Never really needed one. Measuring toe for me is a 1 minute job and I'd rather know it than guess, so I always measure it.

Having changed my camber a lot last year as I went from track to track, I will say that toe, both front and rear, is very sensitive to camber changes.

As I use toe plates with tape measures that measure the distance between the front of the tires and the back of the tires, I tend to think of toe in inches vice degrees (which is what the spec is in).

I've made camber changes on the order of 0.5 degrees and seen toe change 1/4-3/8" which is huge.

All I can really tell you is that -0.5 degrees camber is probably fine for the front. You probably won't notice the difference. But... I would still highly recommend you have toe checked along with the camber change as toe will definitely change as well (as will caster but to a much smaller degree).

Hope that helps you a little.
:cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, it may be normal to have inner tire wear after 10k+ miles? I recently pulled my wheels off and noticed the same wear. My car was aligned twice (at the dealer) before I put the mileage on it (lowered and 18" and 19" wheels).

·
Registered
47 Posts
T\he guy I purchased my Z06 from had his car aligned at "West End Alignment" in Gardena. My car handles great and is real responsive and supposedly had a competition street alignment. The tires have 4K miles on them and they seem to be wearing evenly.

Craig

Stan2002 said:
Thanks for all the good info guys. I'll need to find a good ailgenment shop in the LA area. This little town where I live has two shops and both have allot to be desired.

Stan

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had camber set to-.7 for the last 13,000 now and have no wear (measurable) on the inside compaired to the out side my toe is set to 0 so after quite a few road miles I'd have to say that stock alignment works. more than likely your alignment wasn't right to begin with. zero camber won't hurt for street driving. but also won't help on the track!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts