Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering has felt pretty loose lately, and it also goes very light at higher speeds. I am going to get an alignment done, and hope this corrects it. Do you guys think this sounds like an alignment problem or something else that could be wrong? I'm taking it in on Tuesday, but was just seeing if anyone else had any suggestions. :-? :-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
What you describe might be normal, "getting light at high speed".

The Z06 does not have variable rate steering but does have variable effort steering which is speed sensitive. Called Magnasteer the effort changes with speed.

However a lightness at speed may also have to do with Aero lift at high speed. I would first check the Rake and make sure there is at least a 1/4" to 1" Rake in the car, 1/2" being optimal.

You might also check the corner weighting when you do the alignment.

You can also have increased lift at high speed if you do not have or have removed the body side moldings. A car without the BSM's allows the high pressure cowl air to waterfall off the sides of the car, has reduced laminar flow at speed and allows the cowl air to wrap underneath the car and increase lift at high speed (>100 MPH).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have the BSMs on my car so I know that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I'll update later to see if the alignment helped.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
When you say "loose" do you mean play in the steering? This may be a loose coupling between the steering wheel shaft and steering rack. I had this problem after taking the motor out (which requires breaking this coupling loose). It is really hard to get the bolt on this coupling tight enough. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Play in the steering and it just doesn't feel stable at higher speeds. It feels like it wants to get off the ground. By higher speeds I mean 80+. Also, I just noticed today that there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I just had new tires put on the front and had all four balanced. Could this also be a sign of the alignment being off?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sounds like the alignment may be off, the steering shaft coupling may be loose, you might have thrown a wheel weight, and/or your ride heights may be off (nose up contributing to lift and "lightness").

Good luck sorting it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts