1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but I originally mis-posted here (..sorry guys!):

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84117

Here is the post from the above link:

Today I'm getting an alignment as PCA Nord Stern is at Road America on July 11-12, and I can run the Z06 with them.

I've done searches on alignments, and I've gotten various 'partial' settings. What I'm hoping is that I can have all the specs in one spot for both street and track, and at the alignment shop, mark the settings of both so that I can switch between the two as DJ suggests.

I did search, and amongst others found this one:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/show...negative+camber

I plan on having a street alignment for the street, and once at the track, I'll swap the street tires and brakes for my Kodiaks/Kumho V710's, and CarboTech 9/8, and finally, I would like to set my alignment to track settings.

My car is lowered 5 turns on all corners, 04 shocks, Kodiak/V710's and a tunnel plate. I'm a track-newbie, and only been on a track for two events at Road America, and at the second event I did 2:45 completely stock including F1's and alignment.

Summarizing, can someone post the alignment specs for both street and track given my newbie track status?

Thanks in advance! :blush:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Street settings can be those recommended by the factory or a touch more agressive in negative camber, to your liking. For street, I use the factory settings then adjust Camber to -1.3 to -1.5 Front and -1.0 to -1.3 Rear Camber.

Note: I set the Caster to maximum positive attainable for the track setup and leave it there. I do not adjust Caster when switching back to the street set up. I only change the F/R Camber when switching between Street and Track setups.

Note: I dial out the Caster Lead necessary for the crown in streets & roads. The L/R Caster is set equal for the track.
It will then tend to pull riight when on heavily crowned streets.

Note: AutoX settings are more agressive than track in both F/R Camber and F/R Toe....so there is more adjustment when switching between a street setup and AutoX setup.

A baseline Track Alignment:

FRONT:
Camber: -1.8 degrees
Caster: as much positive without sacrificing Camber
Toe: Neutral (0.0),
You can increase Toe OUT to 1/16" each to enhance Turn In but it will reduce straight line speed...depends on track

REAR:
Camber: -1.3 to -1.5 degrees
Toe: Toe IN 1/8" each, 1/4" Total Toe IN

I say these are baseline settings as you should really further adjust the track settings based on tire temperatures and to what the car feels like and what the car is "doing" on the straights and in the turns. Each car is different and each track can be maximized by small changes,

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YAHOO, thanks DJ; that's what I'm looking for! :cheers:

I think the information you just posted would be extremely helpful in one of your existing 'stickies' (..it was the first place I looked before searching, and then posting):

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63919

Thanks again for your help! :usa:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Do note that if you realign, you must realign everything. You cannot just add negative camber at the track and not touch toe and caster. Also, and maybe those more skilled can chime in, doing such a realignment probably effects your corner weighting, too.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
SRV said:
I'm sorry, but I originally mis-posted here (..sorry guys!):

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84117

Here is the post from the above link:

Today I'm getting an alignment as PCA Nord Stern is at Road America on July 11-12, and I can run the Z06 with them.

I've done searches on alignments, and I've gotten various 'partial' settings. What I'm hoping is that I can have all the specs in one spot for both street and track, and at the alignment shop, mark the settings of both so that I can switch between the two as DJ suggests.

I did search, and amongst others found this one:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/show...negative+camber

I plan on having a street alignment for the street, and once at the track, I'll swap the street tires and brakes for my Kodiaks/Kumho V710's, and CarboTech 9/8, and finally, I would like to set my alignment to track settings.

My car is lowered 5 turns on all corners, 04 shocks, Kodiak/V710's and a tunnel plate. I'm a track-newbie, and only been on a track for two events at Road America, and at the second event I did 2:45 completely stock including F1's and alignment.

Summarizing, can someone post the alignment specs for both street and track given my newbie track status?

Thanks in advance! :blush:
Hi,

I use the Doug Rippie Motorsports High-G alignment specs for Road Racing w. Bilstein Coilovers which are as follows:

Fr Camber = -3/4 camber
Fr Caster = As much as possible to get to -3/4 camber
Fr Toe in = 1/16 Total or 1/32 per side

Rear Camber = -3/4 camber
Rear Caster = NA - not adjustable
Rear Toe in = 1/8 Total or 1/16 per side.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i'd suggest running -2* front and -1.5* rear camber as much caster as you can get in the front and 0 toe front & rear for tire wear on the street. you should get good wear and nice handling car. if you have problems, consider raising to stock ride height. mine is stock and goes pretty good.

2:45 at RA means you're about as fast as S2000 ;).

·
Registered
518 Posts
So is it easy enough to have your street specs and track specs marked then adjust them yourself safely?

How long does it take to switch back and forth between settings?

Just so I'm reading right, you really only adjust camber between track and street? You just max out front caster and leave it?

I'm in the same boat as SRV.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies! :cheers:

I did as DJ suggested, doing the Track setting first and setting the Camber, then maxing out the Caster. Next, set the Street setting which was only changing the Front Camber.

Track Settings:
Front Camber: -2.0
Front Toe: 0.0
Front Caster: Maxed out (..7.40)

Rear Camber: -1.1 (..that's all she got Captain!)
Rear Toe: 1/16 per side

Street Settings:
Front Camber: -1.3
Front Toe: 0.0
Front Caster: did not manually change (.. went up to 8.xx while changing Camber from -2.0 to -1.3)

Rear Camber: -1.1
Rear Toe: 1/16 per side

The car drives nice on the street as expected; I can't wait to get it out on the track.

Question: Is there something wrong with my car that we were unable to get more than -1.1 Rear Camber?

Mafia said:
2:45 at RA means you're about as fast as S2000 ;).
Fair enough! :cheers:

When I raced motocross my moto was: ride smart, ride safe, ride smooth, have fun! Since the 2:45 at RA is my second time out on any track, I desperately need more seat-time (..and the last thing I need is more motor!), and my moto remains the same. So hopefully I can dip below 2:45 this next time out! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
haha... yeah i was just giving u a hard time ;) better safe than sorry. every time i've been to ra at least a couple of people stuffed their rides into walls. usually more like 3 or 4 per weekend :eek:

also depending on how much street driving you do, you may not have to adjust that much at all. and even with -2* up front you might still want to flip the tires halfway through or else outsides will cord before insides are worn. i think full race guys are running camber plates and -3* or more...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mafia said:
haha... yeah i was just giving u a hard time ;)
:cheers:

...better safe than sorry. every time i've been to ra at least a couple of people stuffed their rides into walls. usually more like 3 or 4 per weekend :eek:
Yeah I've seen them, and most occur in The Kink.

also depending on how much street driving you do, you may not have to adjust that much at all. and even with -2* up front you might still want to flip the tires halfway through or else outsides will cord before insides are worn. i think full race guys are running camber plates and -3* or more...
Wow, I didn't know they ran that much. I opted to go with DJ's recommendation since I don't know much at this point, and DJ, well, is DJ. :z: Plus I read where he said that over -2.0, the car will feel different (..twitchy, or maybe wander?) at high speed; I'm already concerned enough going down the front/rear straights and the Kink without worrying about a wandering car at 140+. I'll see how it goes.

I'll keep an eye on my tire-wear as you suggest, and then start making evaluations with my base setup. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
891 Posts
My alignment settings are similar. What I notice most is at relatively slow speeds, it is a bit nervous. At RA last fall it felt rock solid at 140+.

I also ran 2:45 on old hard street tires, which was my limit, as I wanted to DRIVE the car home. I was always over-slowing the car going into the kink and typically went thru at about 80-85 MPH. The HUD was indicating 120 or so entering the kink, which I knew was not going to happen on street tires.

Let us know how the PN event was, after you get back.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UstaB-GS549 said:
Let us know how the PN event was, after you get back.
Oops, I forgot to answer this after all the considerate replies... :blush:

Firstly, PCA Nord Stern is a great group to run with! Because everyone understood the rules and followed them, there was NO driver's meeting on the second day! I was very impressed.

The alignment felt very good and I was very pleased with how the car handled, especially after lowering the rear tire pressure to 28psi cold (..from 32psi, WAY too high).

I think the rear toe-in really made a difference while powering away from a fast 3rd-gear corner's apex such as Turn 3. In the past, if I were not careful, I would get oversteer, and the back end would swap back and forth while exiting under full-power. This did not occur even once.

The max of -2.0 degrees of front Camber DJ recommended appeared to work well too as my 'Carousel' front (..driver-side front) wore evenly across the entire tire; I was running 31.5psi cold. What do you guys run cold up front for tire pressure?

The bottom-line is that I improved my best lap to 2:36:11, from a previous best of 2:45:8, and 2:52 before that, so I am making some progress. I was encouraged when I found out that I clicked off low 2:36's four laps in a row, so maybe there is some hope for me, and I can continue to improve and have fun.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would like to run RA in warm weather (mid season). Sounds like PCA NS is the group to run with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts