Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small percentage of the initial production run (@5%) did have an oil control ring problem that when driven constantly in and over 3500 RPM would cause "ring flutter". This would happen especially if the engine was abused during break in (first 1,000 miles).

Chevy subsequently fixed most of those cars under Warranty and reengineered the oil control ring on later production run '01's and subsequent years.

In addition a small percentage of '01 and subsequent year production cars also had a precieved or actual oil consumption problem because of the newly designed PCV system. This was caused by a faulty or incomplete Valley Seal.

To determine if a particular car had an oil consumption problem an Oil Consumption Test (OCT) was performed. If this test showed excessive oil consumption the proceedure was to replace the Valley Seal first, and do another OCT to differentiate the problem if it still exsisted.

NOTE: All LS1's & LS6's, F & Y bodies will experience higher oil consumption if the car is used in competition...as will most any other engine. The LS6's PCV empties into the intake manifold behind the Throttle Body. Under High RPM competition
this oil will be injested and burnt in the combustion cycle. This may be interpretted as undue oil consumption, as evidenced by a blackened exhaust reside, but it is not. This is normal. To avoid this a "catch can" can be installed in the PCV system.

If you own an '01 or are contemplating purchasing one then a number of things are in order.
1. Ascertain when your car was produced and more importantly when the engine was produced.
2. Ascertain if it is using oil at an increased rate.
3. Have an OCT test done to verify if it is or is not.
(You can do this your self by performing an oil & filter change and filling with a normal 6.5 qt. fill. Note the mileage and drive normally for 1,000 miles. Perform another oil change and measure the oil drained out and subtract from the oil installed (6.5 qts) originally. (Note: you should let the engine drain for 1 Hour for accuracy) .
4. Check for oil behind the Throttle Body (drops on the Manifold floor) after driving normally for this 1,000 miles. If there is oil after driving normally then you will need to investigate the Valley Seal. If there is oil after hard competition it is normal, if not excessive.
5. If the car has had an OCT or has not shown high oil consumption and is a later '01 production or subsequent year then it is probably a safe bet.
6. If a later production run '01 or an '02 or subsequent year has an oil consumption problem (and they can) then it is most probably the Valley Seal.

There was an early racers fix for LS1's that allowed the oil control ring to reseat by using straight weight Kendall 30W non synthetic, for 1,000 miles and changing 3 times over 3,000 miles. Then switching back to Mobil 1 Synthetic. However this was a temporary fix as a the rings would still reenter "ring flutter" if abused. I do not recommend this but it may be appropriate for a dedicated race car or one that is out of warranty. Note: that some racers use the Kendall non synthetic exclusively but are changing oil after each race and are rebuilding the engine annually anyway.

NOTE: all higher mileage cars/engines and abused engines will show higher that normal oil consumption no matter what type of oil control ring they have or what make of car they are.

NOT ALL '01's had an oil consumption problem, ONLY a few did. Most of those have now been repaired.

Most all of the '01's are a good value and a good buy.

This statement does not reflect the opinion of Z06vette.com or any of it's members or Chevrolet or General Motors Corporation

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have owned 2 o1 and BOTH used oil, O1 Vert used qt per 500-600 and my Z used qt per 350-400.

Both got re-ringed and did not use oil then.

Guess I am just unlucky.

Goo Luck

SCS

·
Registered
968 Posts
Very few 01s had a oil usage problem But let me say this an engine that uses oil will make more h/p than a tight motor! That is a proven fact. Ask any drag race engine builder! Enough bs on oil cons. with any motor!! :jammin:

·
Registered
878 Posts
thanks for the thread dj, i have an 01 and it uses about 1qt from about 1200-1500 mi, which seems to depend on my driving -if a lot of frwy 6th gear at 2000rpm-its about 1500 mi to a qt..anyway -since the car is due to go off warranty in sept and it only has 12K mi on it -i thought i would have chevy due the consumption test-they said if it gets 1000 mi to the qt or better -that its fine and within their limits..so whats the big deal -10 qts more a yr-whats $50 bucks..., love my ride-and the price i got it for private party last yr with 4k mi on it..i'm happy-best bang for my bucks.. :jammin:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
How many Z06's were built in 2001?

If it were 5000 Units and it was only 5% would that be 250 cars throughout the country?

I'm not sure it was that low yet my car was one that used oil profusly (sp) to the tune of a quart every 300 miles.

After the proactive approach by GM to fix my car under warranty the car is perfect.

I would suggest that most 2001 Z06s that the owner thought there was an issue had at least an oil consumption test.

Wouldn't that test show up in most dealerships record based off the vin number?

If so I would suggest checking that but also being aware that an oil consumption issue could be prevailant in more than 5% of the cars..

I could be wrong....but I'd bet it was more like 15%

I'm sorry that it lowers the value of our cars a bit over the 2002 and newer cars but....also the 385 hp is 20 less and that matters to a lot of people.

Just the other side of the story I guess..

Shit happens and GM took good care to make sure its customers were happy who needed it.

Best car I've ever had the pleasure of owning.. and a great group of enthusiasts..

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
DJWorm said:
A small percentage of the initial production run (@5%) did have an oil control ring problem that when driven constantly in and over 3500 RPM would cause "ring flutter". This would happen especially if the engine was abused during break in (first 1,000 miles).
DJWorm said:
NOT ALL '01's had an oil consumption problem, ONLY a few did. Most of those have now been repaired.

Where do you get these stats?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
JB ditto your sentiments bro. Sh##t happens and GM did a good job fixing me up. Anyway, mod fever stuck, and the sanctity of an original factory motor has long been deceased. So the oil consumpiton issue has become a moot point. Ya do a bottom end and then what does it matter if you HAD oil consumption?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Well... I have three buddies around here w/ '01's and all burn oil including mine. My buddy Tom's (Special) red '01 burns about a quart every 1500 miles but he doesn't want GM f'ing w/ his motor and will live w/ it. He's going to mod the heck out of it anyway so wtf. I met another '01 owner this weekend on here (crap I can't remember his sn) but his is black and is sucking down about 1 quart every 2500 miles if I remember correctly. Mine was at 1 quart ever 1500-1000 then I got the re-ring and now it's all fixed. Have 5xxx miles on this current oil change and haven't added any.

If it's so few than why doe all the '01 owners I know have oil eaters? I mean they all have the same rings and potential for bad PCV seals.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
This Oil Consumption issue is not only on just 2001's, but any LS1 1998 thru 2001 or 2001 LS6 will have a Oil Consumption problem if operated in a manner that causes Ring Flutter. (GM's technical term not mine). This is rare in auto's and common in 6 speeds. I have many friends that FBody's have Oil Control issues also. I'm not sure why you don't here much about it on the 97's. Maybe because they made so few 6 speeds that year. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
GM OFFICIAL OIL CONSUMPTION GUIDELINES

This information can be found in the following service information bulletin and provides guidance to dealers on this issue: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines #01-06-01-011. This covers all 1996 - 2001 passenger cars and gasoline powered light duty trucks under 8500 LB GVW.

Oil Consumption. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi.). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi) or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. Many factors can affect an owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks

Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fitting for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)

Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level

The vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 5 minutes (20 minutes for the 3.4 L LQ1) after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading to assure the oil has had enough time to drain back into the crankcase. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Improper Oil Fill After an Oil Change

Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner's Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

High Speed or High RPM Driving

Continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs may increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

Towing or Heavy Usage

Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds, and thus increases the rate of oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation System

Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Incorrect PCV valves, blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil usage.
Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)

On vehicles that are usually driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient lenght to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Engine Temperature

If an engine is run at overheated temperatures (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual) for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Engine Wear

Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, work, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will all cause an increase in oil consumption.

Measurement of Oil Consumption

Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 6400 km (4000 mi). An exception would be allowed only if an engine is reported to be using more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 1600 km (1000 mi).
1. Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.
2. Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).
3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes (20 minutes for the 3.4 L LQ1), after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that most of the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.
5. Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
6. Record the vehicle mileage, date and exact oil level on the form included in this bulletin.
7. Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 1-6 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
8. If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption."

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Here's is a link to a article from the General on how and why some LS1/LS6 engines have a Oil Consumption issue and some don't.

The Causal Factor seems to be the driver/operator. So if you were to swap drivers of cars from non using oil to a using, the situation would reverse. So the bottom line is it not 5% it's a 100% of the motors if operated in a Ring Flutter situation. :z:

http://www.idavette.net/hib/02ls6/page5.htm

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
1999-2002: Service Bulletin: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
Subject: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 01-06-01-023A

Models: 1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette, 1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird, with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition
Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause
The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffle may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction
On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle body or in the intake manifold before replacing the piston ring. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important
Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings.

Parts Information

Part Number
Description
Qty

Valley Cover

Ring Kit, Piston

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J0250
Manifold or Gasket Intake - Replace Manifold
Use Published Labor Operation Time

J1307
Piston, Rod and/or Rings -- Replace, Both Banks
Use Published Labor Time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.