Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had made almost made my decision on a cam then some a$$ ;) posted how well he loved his new G5X3 and that it was very livable in his daily driver and that he got 430rwhp. Now I'm back to square one. I am not caught up in the numbers game as much as I am in how well it drives and runs. I also want the muscle car lopey cam idle that my Charger has so I need your input on how well behaved your cam is in all aspects of driving, low speed, parking lots etc. How do you like it? Do you drive it everyday or is it a 2nd car. How often do you have to change your springs?
Mine is not a daily driver but I don't want it to be a pita to own either.
Thanks

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I've got the X2 on a 112 LSA and mine is a daily!!
Don't fall for the numbers game those east coast guys throw at you! Cool weather and tuned to the max with 93-4 oct gas makes good writing but little everyday practicality.
I'm here in the desert with 91 octane and a tune that won't ping in 100*+ temps and got 400 to the back tires with stock heads and 420 with AFR's and 10-1 CR!! Believe me I'M NOT BRAGGING, just stating facts for my pig!! She lopes like a :cen: but still gets 23 mpg on the 40 mile round trip to work and back with the yo-yo's here in AZ!!
Once you get used to the absence of any power below 1500 you will fall in love with the sounds coming from under the hood and out the exhaust!!

My .02
Ken

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Give Lou a call and talk to him about what you are after. I'm sure he can put together a cam that you are looking for. It may not be one of his off the shelf piece's, but something with some advance built into the intake lobe etc. if he doesn't do that already. I've talked to him about a cam for my setup and he told me the pro's and con's of each of his cams from mild to wild. What I like about him is he will take the time to help you out. It's not a rubber stamp, one size fits all thing you are considering. You will have to live with your decision and the install is not cheap to be pulling these things in and out until you find the one YOU like.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have the G5X-3 cam along with AFR heads etc etc.
I drive it EVERYDAY. I went with the G5X-1 cam cause I had cold feet and then I switched.
Go for it

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Im guessing Im the a$$ who has messed things up for you?

Come on down to my neck of the woods, I will be happy to let you drive it, and experience it first hand, so you can decide. Hell, if you decide you want a smaller cam, I can sell you the one I was going to put in before I changed my mind! Its a 227/224, much more docile.

PM me, or call me at 510-209-4882, and we can set something up.

Oz

·
Registered
133 Posts
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a link of what my X3-112 sounds like.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pakisho said:
Im guessing Im the a$$ who has messed things up for you?

Come on down to my neck of the woods, I will be happy to let you drive it, and experience it first hand, so you can decide. Hell, if you decide you want a smaller cam, I can sell you the one I was going to put in before I changed my mind! Its a 227/224, much more docile.

PM me, or call me at 510-209-4882, and we can set something up.

Oz

Ding ding ding, actually should have made that plural, yours and IN DEBT's. If your were closer I'd take you up on that.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
ARnt you in San Francisco? Im only about 30 minutes away. I'd say its worth it for you to check out, if youre hung up on what to get. Nothing will sort the matter out like your own impression.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pakisho said:
ARnt you in San Francisco? Im only about 30 minutes away. I'd say its worth it for you to check out, if youre hung up on what to get. Nothing will sort the matter out like your own impression.
Nope, I'm in the Texas version, Frisco.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Doh, gotcha.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
torchedZ said:
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a link of what my X3-112 sounds like.
All I can say is damn that sounds good. Do you have any regrets or issue with driveability at all?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Millenium Z06 said:
All I can say is damn that sounds good. Do you have any regrets or issue with driveability at all?

No regrets. I use the car as a daily driver and have about 10k miles on the setup. It lopes like crazy and I'm always getting a thumbs up!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had the x3 cam for about a year and really like it. It has a 113 LSA and is a good daily driver. With the a/c on it idles a little rough at times but with a little more dyno tuning it should smooth out a bit. The sound and lope reminds me of my fromer 1969 427 vette, except this car gets much better milage. On the road course this x3 cam wakes up the LS1/LS6. I have not had to change springs yet (10k with 1k full out road racing). If I had to do it again I would use the same exact cam.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Along the same lines as the X3, or maybe close to the X4, I have a TRex cam from Thunder Racing in my 02Z and put out 451rwhp with the typical bolt-ons. See cam specs and bolt-ons in sig. Heads have never been off the car.

Can be a little touchy in stop-n-go traffic, but really pulls after 3500-4000 rpms.

Steve

·
21,355 Posts
I made 440 rwhp with a mild comp cam and AFR heads. Car drives like stock above 2000 rpm (with more grunt of course) and has a nice lopey idle. I think I found the perfect combo for me. dyno sheet

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can vouch for TorchedZ's. I've driven his car and it drives great!

I have a high tolerance and love power and am installing my X3 on 112 soon here too. I've driven big cams and small cams. They have different manners and there's more to a cam than just duration and lift too of course.

Like said before, try and give Lou a call and he will help you sort it out and drive some cars with different cams and see how they drive if you can. Otherwise, if you are experienced...you can just swap cams down the road if you like.

Good luck! :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts