Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out on a cruise today w/ my little girl and decided that i needed to go buy discount tire to ask a quick question about a wheel. so while i was there, the salesperson asked me if i was going to do lower the car in the future. i said " as a matter of fact i was going to have it done in a few weeks or so". he suggested that i not lower the car, unless i was wanting to shell out some big bucks for tires every 8 months or so. give or take, depending on if my Z is a daily driver or not. i told him that i was only planning on lowering the car to the max on the factory settings! he said no matter how low i go, i will mess w/ the suspension and eventually the tires will rub and wear down. during all of this negitivity, i cant think of all of my fellow forum members that have lowered there beloved vettes and i have yet to hear of such a problem. then i go on to ask about putting 18's up front and 19's in the back. hell, i should've known better . mr. negitivity proceeds to say that if were going to do this, then the sensors on the car for the TC will not work correctly. he proceeds to say that w/ that set up, the car will "bog" down probably in 3 gear. meaning that the power will not be there in liue of the setup. i asked him if he has a vette, of course his didnt. so i ask how he knew so much about a car he didnt own?he said that he has done business on the side for this one guy here in town. all i know about this vette owner that he is talking about, is that he has money out of the ying yang and has one fast a$$ coupe. so where do i go from here fellow fourum members? i do want to lower my car and i do want to get some wheels at little later down the road, but now mr negitivity has got me to think. steer me back in the right direction guys. please keep in mind that i dont have all the money in the world to buy tires every 8 months or so (whatever he was talking about) or to have my cpu configured due to the different sizes in my tires(this is what mr. neg. said had to be done to the vette that i was referring to, after he got aftermarket wheels... ) i just need to know if i am going to bite off more than i can chew if i want to do these (what i used to think) simple mods. thanks all, cory

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
That gentlemen has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. :puke:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
As long as you keep the tire circumference within 2% of the the stock circumference. AH/TC will operate normally.

As far as lowering goes, if the car is aligned back to factory specifications tire wear will be the same as stock height. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The guy is full of it. Lower the car and have it aligned. Buy the wheel and tire combo you like without going to far out of spec. Oh and don't buy anything from him. I meet a guy like that about once a month, knows everything and you don't know shi%.

D.J.

·
Registered
874 Posts
:rofl: I love the part about the tires rubbing, front air dam maybe, but the tires! :screwy: I have not read it in awhile but dosen't the manual say something about lowering the car?
In the future save yourself some undue stress and come here for advice, odds are that someone has done something to thier car that you are thinking of doing, and can guide you in the right direction from personal experience. Everyone here will not let you make a mistake if you just ask. :cheers: Don't listen to some ten dollar an hour grease monkey at a discount tire center that thinks he knows about Corvettes. :z: :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Here's is some examples of what IMO are acceptable tire combinations.

Front
Stock 265/40/17's

Optional size(s)
265/35/18 or 275/35/18 or 265/30/19 or 275/30/19 or 285/30/19's

Rear
Stock 295/35/18's

Optional size(s)
305/30/18 or 315/30/18 or 335/30/18**
295/35/19 or 295/30/19 or 305/30/19 or 315/30/19 or 325/30/19 or 355/25/19's**

**Wheel tubbing required
335/30/18's can be mounted without tubbing, but require special offset rim which IMO doesen't like right because the tire sticks outside the fender to far.
:z: :z:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That guy must have been on some kinda ego trip to make up such :bs: You would think he would want to sell you the wheels and tires,not talk you out of them. :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
1 800 Stupid!
Reminds me of the Chevy dealer that informed me not to use synthetic oil in my vette until it has 10k on the odometer.
I kid you not!
Sabot

·
Registered
881 Posts
Pretty risky to go into Discount Tire and ask any questions more technical than "Where's the Men's Room" (IMO). :rofl:

I recently decided it was time to lower since I suspected my alignment needed to be checked anyway (rack removed for H/C, rear suspension R&R for gears and some other unmentionables). So, I went to the bottom on the stock bolts a couple of weeks ago and had the car aligned today. Camber was still OK but toe was way off in my case (may or may not be due to lowering though). Anyway, the bottom line is that if you lower the car on the stock bolts and then have it properly aligned, there is no reason to see tire wear any different from stock providing your driving habits have not changed. Also, the previous comment about changing wheel diameter but keeping tire outer diameter close to stock is right on. The car will never know.... ;)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Was he the guy wearing the paper hat ? What a bunch of :bs:

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
WOW! Not that guy has no Clue. Lower it... We have lowered 8 Plus cars in the last year here in NJ and never have I heard of any tire problems. Great Mod.... :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
:bs: Some people like to feel they are important by sharing their knowledge and wisdom. Too bad they don't have any. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The tire guy is full of shit, like the others say, but,..... I've got 295-35/19s on the back, and they're almost 4% larger diameter than stock, with no problems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
These people are morons and they do not know squat about corvettes. Please go to a tuner, it may cost a little more but will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
so frickin' what? I see you posted this on CF? Do you want a hug? Come on people are idiots, that's nothing new. You should've just left and that would've been it. There was no actual damage or anything, so what's the point of this story? Yes we all know that there are idiots out there -- why did you even keep talking to him?

Live and learn...and stop shopping at DISCOUNT tire if you don't want that kind of bs.

-N

1 - 20 of 20 Posts