Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure somebody has used these. I have a torch red 01 with 6300 miles.It already has some rock chips but i would like to get a set to keep from getting anymore. Does anybody have any pictures they can post with these on peferably in Torch Red? There is a shop that sells them painted already , I think thats how i'll go if i do decide to get them. any pro' and con's?

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
I have them but they are on a black Z06.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I had them on my MY Z . If you have your car lowered you will almost always drag one of the fronts off ! To take them off and fill the holes that you drilled it cost me $1000.00 ! They had to paint all 4 fenders and the bumper seperate ! Think about it for a long while ! I had 3m clear attached on the inner door sill and the rear edges of the fenders ! it works pretty well !

Hope this helps !

Rob :cheers:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I can't help with those, but the other cheap, flat, black abs ones don't require drilling and will bend if they hit something. On some cars, they're not really noticeable, and they can be screwed on/off in a couple of minutes for trips, etc. [The rears are supposed to have additional holes drilled, but the one screw already in the wheelwell is enough.]

There used to be a picture of them on a white car on the M/A site. They also seem to protect the rear brake ducts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is at stock height . There is a lot of construction and trucks hauling sand etc, so the rodes are almost aways a mess.Really makes it no fun to drive. I know with way these tires are they are going to kick up everything and sandblast the fender. Is there any way to just clip them on, so you can take them off for shows ,etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
xelerator said:
My car is at stock height . There is a lot of construction and trucks hauling sand etc, so the rodes are almost aways a mess.Really makes it no fun to drive. I know with way these tires are they are going to kick up everything and sandblast the fender. Is there any way to just clip them on, so you can take them off for shows ,etc.
No you cannot clip them on.

I bought them and looked at how they attach and returned them. You must drill the beveled side of the fender.
I then tried cleartastic, it works fine but it does not protect all of the panel's.
I finally bought the cheap thin plastic guards and they for me work the best.
I drilled the inner fender for the front and for the rear did the same but used some plastic spacers to keep them (floating) away from the rear quarter panel. In other words they do not touch the rear quarter or facia.
The are really not noticeable.

Sabot

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got some sheet plastic and made my own. Holes were drilled in the homemade guards, but not in the Z06 bodywork. For the rear guard, I trimmed the guard so that I could use those binder clips to hold it at the bottom. Cheap solution - make a template and you can make as many replacements as you want.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Does anyone know of a rubberized product rather than ABS or plastic for this application? I'd buy a rubber guard or mudflap in a minute.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm haven't seen any products using such a material, sorry. At some point, something too flexible might become an issue in itself (or not be an optimal solution), and the abs stuff is pretty flimsy. For once, cheap manufacturing practices are beneficial. :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have them on my MY. They came painted and the color match is not bad. Most people think they are factory. They were a little time comsuming to get them mounted flush. I am glad I put them on. No more rock chips. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
rwd said:
I'm haven't seen any products using such a material, sorry. At some point, something too flexible might become an issue in itself (or not be an optimal solution), and the abs stuff is pretty flimsy. For once, cheap manufacturing practices are beneficial. :D
If we could get them made from the same material as they use to make the air dam, they would ride over small bumps and problems without tearing to pieces or tearing up the SMC of our fenders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts