Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a B&M Ripper and absolutely love it!! :cool:

Sherylann wants a short shifter, but the springs on the Ripper are waaaaaay too strong for her to shift. So, an alternative.....

I took the stock shifter that I had in my Z and gave it to a Toolmaker that works at Ford to have it cut down. The goal was to shorten it by at least 1 1/2".

Things were going good as he cut it down on a lathe......PROBLEMS!!!

Come to find out the solid looking shifter is hollow and filled with 2 pressed in rubber grommets with a steel shaft running up the center. Now what?? :-? Is it ruined??

The Toolmaker pulled the first conical rubber grommet out, and then machined and press fitted a new top piece and then welded it into place. Here is the new piece compared to the old:

Finished product...looks pink, but the flash kind of washed out the bright red MOMO purchased from RG at Exit 28.

Sherylann is happy with it, still has the stock feel, yet shorter stroked.

Black_Magic, thanks for installing it for Sherylann!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Frank,
Glad to see the report on the finished product. So in essence did you "section" the stock rod?
Hey I hope those aren't YOUR purple pants in the pic:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fyrcaptain said:
Frank,
So in essence did you "section" the stock rod?
We basically cut the top off and fabricated an all new piece out of bar stock. All new threads.

Those are Magics pants! :lol: They were black, but the camera flash made them look purple.....no, I think they were pink!! :lol: LMAO :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Frank,

How does it compare in "feel" to the Ripper? Does the Ripper feel "tighter" or more precise?

Looks expensive. Do you mind telling us the cost of the fabircation, as well as the installation charge? :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

There is no comparison to the Ripper!! It still has the stock feel, only a shorter throw.

Cost?? I think I bought the Toolmaker a cup of coffee. Installation was cheap too, George works for beer...that could get expensive!! :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts