Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the search first. but I couldn't find enough info. Is there an aftermarket alternator available for the Z06 that will outlast the GM brand or is better built ?

Took my ride to the dealership today to have the stock alternator checked. Since putting in a Optima last week, the volts drop after the engine warms up.

They said the alternator is ok and refused to replace it under warranty. Apparently it's ok for the volts to drop to as low as 13.0 while driving. I don't trust their knowledge and for peace of mind, I'd rather replace the alternator. Don't want to get stranded again.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Yes there are alternatives put not worth the price IMHO.
The GM products are fairly robust. If you got a lemon, it should be replaced. I spent about 2 weeks researching other alternators and decided to stick with the GM's. I'm having it buffed and chromed as we speak.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Red,
How much to buff and chrome? Mine is oxidized and looking bad. Did you disassemble or did the chrome shop?

D.J.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
How many mile did they go? I just polished mine myself and I was wondering how much longer would it last? I have 20k miles now!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There are lighter alternators available such as Jones Racing. There are also mounts to allow you to mount lower and on the right side for better weight distribution.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the alternator checked again, was showing it is charging. I don't understand why the battery volts on the DIC are so erratic. I'm having MTI check all the electronics this Saturday before I order a new one.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
I had the alternator checked again, was showing it is charging. I don't understand why the battery volts on the DIC are so erratic. I'm having MTI check all the electronics this Saturday before I order a new one.

How many miles on the car or alternator?

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Red,
How much to buff and chrome? Mine is oxidized and looking bad. Did you disassemble or did the chrome shop?

D.J.
DJ:

I removed the alt myself, dissassembled it and took it to the shop for finishing. $120.00 CDN for buffing and triple chrome/nickle finish polish. 2 week delivery. I think this was an amazing price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts