Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this stat from Chevy’s Z06 pages, the Torsional bending frequency exceeds 20 Hz. http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/corvette/z06_aluminum_frame_en.jsp It seems that if it measured 21 or 25 hz, that they would have quoted that figure instead of saying “exceeds 20 Hz. If it measured 30 Hz, they would have been bragging. I’d guess that this means that it measured less than 20.5 Hz, or they would have at least rounded up to 21 Hz. Most current passenger cars exceed 20 Hz.

The C5 Z06’s first torsional frequency is “a stout 24 Hz”. The C5 coupe with the roof panel in place is 22 Hz. The C5 coupe with the top open is 20.5 Hz.

The aluminum frame may be 137 lbs lighter than the steel C6 frame, but it might not offer as much rigidity either. I am sure it is a solid platform, but cars like the Malibu and Sentra and Acura RL approach or exceed 30 Hz now. I can understand why Dave Hill says no targa ever for this Z06.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Maybe next years frame will be carbon fiber or titanium. hint hint. My wood for the new car would increase greatly and pocket book would decrease proportionally. :guiness:

I think I will keep my T-1 Race Bar, Coil Over, Roll Bar, Carbon fiber(part) car for now. Way stiffer. Two 250 lb. guys can sit in it and it won't move. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks to another forum, in which it is noted that the "torsional stiffness for the C5Z06 is a "stout 24." Even more importantly to those in this and other forum who are getting concerned about the Z06's alleged aluminum frame deficiences, here is what Patrick McDaniel has written in the other forum, as follows:

"This is what I have from the SAE write up in April.

The aluminum frame increase in effective gage by 1.9 mm
Steel frame gage is 2mm
AL frame gage is 4mm

AL Steel
Bending Stiffness 22.9 Hz 21.5
TORsIONAL STIFFNESS 28.3 Hz 26.9

SAE is the the "Socety of Automative Engineers." At this years SAE official congress, GM noted this information. So, I guess the aluminum chassis of the C6 Z06 is really about 15% greater than than "stout C5 Z06 chassis."

Once again, there are some folks who love to worry about the C6 Z06's alleged problems, i.e., do your remember the rants about the asymetrical steering wheel -- which proved later to be false; the complaints about the 6.4 L engine the car was going to have -- when it should have and really needed the magical 7.0 L, 427 cubic motor; the torrents of GM bashing about the car's going to have a base price of $75,000 and thus will not sell; the ripping of the Z because the 2LZ package weighed 120 pounds more than the 1LZ package -- it really weighs 12 pounds more, etc.. Why is so many times those who love Corvettes love to start threads about the car's alleged weaknesses, only to later find that the car doesn't have that problem.

Wonder what inaccurate attacks on the car will be next. Maybe we should start complaining that the motor is not sophisticated without its DOHC and lack of four valves per cylinder. Maybe we can get upset about that, only to later realize that it is the only vehicle in the world with world class, supercar performance with a base price of $65,000, 500+ HP and still not be a gas guzzler. Hmmn.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Nah - for me the biggest faux pa is that they didn't make it an FRC and fix any aero anomalies with some wind tunnel time and aero aids.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elegant said:
...Wonder what inaccurate attacks on the car will be next...
Doesn’t that just tick you off when Chevrolet’s web site makes those “inaccurate attacks” against their own cars?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Doesn’t that just tick you off when Chevrolet’s web site makes those “inaccurate attacks” against their own cars?
I read paragraph in your above link to Chevrolet. I missed the attack against their own car. Maybe I'm dyslexic.

·
Registered
581 Posts
These papers are available for about $10 each as a pdf:

2005-01-1943
2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZO6 Aerodynamic Development
Tom Froling, Tadge Juechter, General Motors Corp.

2005-01-0465
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Aluminum Spaceframe
Brent Deep, Leland Decker, Edward Moss, General Motors Corp.; Matthew P. Kiley, Alcoa; Robert Thomure, Jan Turczynski, Dana Structural Solutions Group

2005-01-0466
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Aluminum Spaceframe Design and Engineering Technology
Matthew P. Kiley, Alcoa; Brent Deep, Leland Decker, Edward Moss, General Motors Corp.

2005-01-0470
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Aluminum Spaceframe Manufacturing Technology
Brent Deep, Leland Decker, General Motors Corp.; Robert Thomure, Jan Turczynski, Robert M. Muldowney, Chet Sowal, Alex Vevasis, Dana Structural Solutions Group

2005-01-0469
2006 Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Structural Composite Panels- Design, Manufacturing and Material Development Considerations
John Remy, David Hamilton, Edward D. Moss, Boyd Pukalo, Gary Zuk, General Motors Corp.; Roger Johnson, Molded Fiber Glass Research Company

2005-01-0468
2006 Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Fender - Engineering, Design and Material Selection Considerations
John Remy, Mark Voss, Dalton Blackwell, Claude Di Natale, General Motors Corp.

2005-01-0340
Development of the 2006 Corvette Z06 Structural Cast Magnesium Crossmember
Jonathan Aragones, Larry J. Ouimet, Kasi Goundan, Scott Kolp, Richard Osborne, William D. Pinch, General Motors Corp.

2005-01-0467
Design Enhancement of the Rear Composite Structure for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe and Z06
David P. Hamilton, Vladimir TChernychouk, Laurence Wilson, General Motors Corp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UstaB-GS549 said:
I read paragraph in your above link to Chevrolet. I missed the attack against their own car. Maybe I'm dyslexic.
Sorry if it was not clear. My response was sarcastic. I am not aware of anyone in this thread (or Chevrolet themselves) who has attacked the C6 Z06.

Regarding the veracity of the of the 28.3 Hz torsional figure referred to above, had I attended that tech forum and heard or seen chassis stiffness figures, I imagine I would have posted them also. It would be great if that figure turns out to be the correct measurement.

But, per that same forum member’s notes (same post) of the 4/2005 SAE conference he attended, the C6 Z06 weighs 118.4 lbs less than the C6 coupe. Per Chevrolet’s lying and inaccurate web site, the C6 Z06 weighs only 47 lbs less. This too is sarcasm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts