Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,
The below info shows a slightly modified printout from the AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide for a 2003 Z06.
(The links have been modified to take you to my website to view the product information.)

This guide shows exactly which AMSOIL products are available for almost every vehicle made in the last 25 years.

Information on ordering AMSOIL at retail can be found here:
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customers save about 20%:
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

2003 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 5.7L 8-cyl VIN Code S

FILTERS
Oil Filter......EAO32
Oil Filter......WIX 51042
Air Filter......EAA83
Air Filter......WIX 46144
Fuel Filter......WIX 37737

BOSCH WIPER BLADES
Driver side......B40922
Passenger side...... B40922

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30
Above 0°F......10W-30[1]
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 10w30
All Temps......5W-30[2]
Manual Transmission,.....AF3
AMSOIL ATF
Controlled Slip Differential, Rear .....GL-5*[3][4]
75W-90
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90
AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive

Fluids
Power Steering Fluid.....PS
Power Steering Fluid - Not Available Through Amsoil
Brake Fluid.....HB
Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT-3 - Not Available Through Amsoil
Clutch Fluid.....HB
Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT-3 - Not Available Through Amsoil

1. Oil must meet GM specification 4718M.
2. SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
3. CS IDENTIFICATION: tag under cover-ataching bolt. Models
with limited slip use 4 oz of GM part no. 1052358
additive or equivalent when fluid is changed.
4. Synthetic oil is required.

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........6.5 quarts[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........13.0 quarts
Automatic Transmission, 4L60E Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed 4L60E..........11.0 quarts
Manual Transmission, 6-spd..........8.0 pints
Differential, Rear..........3.4 pints

1. Capacity shown includes filter. after refill check oil level

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft-lbs
Manual Transmission
Fill Plug.....20 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....20 ft-lbs
SERVICE INTERVAL
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Good capacity and spec info on C5 fills - TTT

TTT ... I did a search on differential capacity ... (yes, Brad & DJ, I'm finally getting around to ordering up fluids & filters).
This is such good info that even if one don't use Amsoil, it is useful :jammin:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Hey Brad,

Thanks for posting this. Also some feed back for you. The tranny fluid worked really well. It had a better feel from the first time I got it up to temperature. You were also correct on the oil pressure rates. The 5W-30 reads the same as the 10W-30 Mobil1 did. I replaced all plugs with magnetic drain plugs so I will be able to tell you more the next time I change everything out. Take care, Don

Ps I hope they are not working you too hard in training.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Myself I like to use synchromech in my T-56 but everything else is amsoil. It's all I sue and all I would use, I've seen what engine wear looks like in most cases with normal fluids.. using amsoil when we went to build my motor it was lookin great. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZeeOhSix said:
Subdriver -- this is an old thread, so I'm wondering why not use the Amsoil Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD) for the manual tranny? It says for applications calling for Dextron III. Maybe this is a new product from Amsoil?
This is an old thread... forgot it was even here. I updated all the links and part numbers to their current ones. AMSOIL has updated the oil and air filters to the new EA lines, and also now carries WIX filters including those applicable to the C5 Corvette.

The AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid isn't a new fluid. It was back engineered to meet the Allison TES-295 fluid spec. However it also does meet GM Dexron III specs and AMSOIL does recommend it for our tranny as an alternate to the AMSOIL ATF. The ATD is arguably a better fluid as it definitely contains no viscosity improvers and thus may hold up slightly better in the heat than the ATF. But the AMSOIL line, in general, holds up very well under extreme conditions. The two fluids are remarkably similar, which is probably not surprising considering they both do meet Dexron III standards. The viscosities are almost identical, as are the flash and pour points, but the ATF performs slightly better in the four ball wear test.

I have considered using the ATD myself, but never have, partially because the smallest container it comes in is a gallon. However, I guess that is four quarts which is one tranny fluid change.

Either one meets the owner's manual requirements, but I've always felt a little more comfortable sticking with the ATF as that was what the factory fill was. :cheers:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
May want to amend Oil capacity with filter, I read the dealers and putting in 7 quarts. I believe the Worm master said so.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Subdriver said:
The viscosities are almost identical, as are the flash and pour points, but the ATF performs slightly better in the four ball wear test.
Wow ... I would have thought it would be the other way around, the ADT being better than the ATF in the wear department.

Thanks for the info! :thumb:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks Brad. I just updated my spec sheet yesterday when I renewed my preferred customer membership. At the same time I ordered the new air filter EAA83. Information sheet on the new filter is very impressive on the filtering capacity and air flow. Thanks again for introducing me to Amsoil and the great products they produce.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MiamiCowboy said:
Thanks Brad. I just updated my spec sheet yesterday when I renewed my preferred customer membership. At the same time I ordered the new air filter EAA83. Information sheet on the new filter is very impressive on the filtering capacity and air flow. Thanks again for introducing me to Amsoil and the great products they produce.
You're welcome and thanks for the continued support. :cheers:

IVO,
The 6.5 quarts vs 7.0 quarts is another controversy worthy of a never ending thread. That stat sheet was cut and pasted off the AMSOIL website last year. Personally, I used 7.0 quarts in mine as well until adding the oil cooler and accusump (which bumped it to nearer 10 quarts).

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was told due to moly ring set I should use regular 10w30 oil only? Any feed back:roll:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Hey Brad,

I have about 60k miles. Is it time to change my fuel filter? I was told 50k-60k miles was good. Is this correct?

Alex

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Louis Rivera said:
I was told due to moly ring set I should use regular 10w30 oil only? Any feed back:roll:
Louis,
Personally I don't agree, but I know that there are several major cam manufacturers that recommend against synthetic oils. I don't personally agree with them, but its their business. Some guys will recommend using a regular dino oil for the first oil change with new rings to help seat them in. That is somewhat contradicted by the number of new cars on the market that come with factory fill synthetic. I would suggest you talk to your engine builder and ask why they recommend regular 10w30.

ZO6 AL-X said:
Hey Brad,

I have about 60k miles. Is it time to change my fuel filter? I was told 50k-60k miles was good. Is this correct?

Alex
Alex,
I can't find any requirement in my 02 owner's manual to replace the fuel filter. Interestingly, my wife's 03 Chevy Trailblazer does require a fuel filter change every 30k miles. A change in philosophy on GMs part? The fuel filter size on the 02 Z06 is about the same as it is on the 03 Trailblazer (which has the 5.3L V-8).

Personally I think the 30k interval is prudent. I was changing my fuel filter annually as race fuel is notoriously dirty.

Keep in mind that mid-year 2003 the fuel filter moved from the fuel rail (easy to change) to inside the tank and integral with the fuel pump (uh... not easy to change). :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I do remember the filter being relocated. Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The new Amsoil SM GF-4 5w-30 has a great additive package and is a better oil then the previous GF-3 version. I've seen numerous used oil analysis reports on www.bobistheoilguy.com and am very impressed with it. I think it's a better value then the 0w-30 Amsoil personally.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Mernt!

Mernt said:
The new Amsoil SM GF-4 5w-30 has a great additive package and is a better oil then the previous GF-3 version. I've seen numerous used oil analysis reports on www.bobistheoilguy.com and am very impressed with it. I think it's a better value then the 0w-30 Amsoil personally.
Welcome to :z:
AMSOIL is a supporting vendor over there <<<< ; Subdriver and DJWorm are dealers in the AMSOIL fold.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts