Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha all, I am getting ready to install the AMW catxh can on my Mag equipped Z. I bought the can and aluminum mounting bracket from ECS. From what I had been reading, the aluminum bracket made for a painless installation on the LS6, but after getting the kit, I am perplexed with the exact method of mounting the bracket to the head. I have a couple of available bolt holes....all of which are blocked by the tensioner set-up.

Can anyone provide pics or more detailed info on how to install this AMW unit properly? Any help is appreciated.

Aloha, Dave

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took pictures last night as I am also doing the installation right now. The instructions suck to put it mildly. Took a while to figure out, but the two holes you need are at the top of the head and the bottom of the head, closest to the exhaust pipe. I did take photo's, e-mail me if you need them.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I don't know if you have the stock bracket or a special one from ECS but if you have the stock bracket you could mount it like this:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great pics.....looks like I may have to mount it like that. Looks good!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Dave, Is it advantageous for everyone to run a catch can or are they just for SC cars. What are they needed for? Is it an oil control issue?

D.J.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It separates the oil in the PVC system before it gets to the manifold. For forced induction cars this is especially important because oil contaminates in the intake charge can lead to detonation/knock/and pulled timing. It is also advantageous for all cars too... N/A included. However, the results of the catch cans vary considerably. Some have continued to get oil into the manifold, citing that the catch cans while separating the oil, miss the "oil mist". That is why it is important to have longer lines leading to and from the catch can so the air has a chance to cool and seperate.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
benenati379 said:
It separates the oil in the PVC system before it gets to the manifold. For forced induction cars this is especially important because oil contaminates in the intake charge can lead to detonation/knock/and pulled timing. It is also advantageous for all cars too... N/A included. However, the results of the catch cans vary considerably. Some have continued to get oil into the manifold, citing that the catch cans while separating the oil, miss the "oil mist". That is why it is important to have longer lines leading to and from the catch can so the air has a chance to cool and seperate.
Yeah what he said :D. Benenati hit it on the head.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
benenati379 said:
Good idea with the long lines. I don't need any oil in my NA engine so where do we buy one of those things and can a weekend mechanic install it?

Thanks guys, D.J.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The kit is complete, but if you want to head mount it they make an optional bracket. From what I have read, head mounting or mounting farther away doesn't make a lot of difference so I went with the head mount because it is a clean installation.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
vettenuts said:
The kit is complete, but if you want to head mount it they make an optional bracket. From what I have read, head mounting or mounting farther away doesn't make a lot of difference so I went with the head mount because it is a clean installation.
Do you have any pic's of your head mount install.

Thanks, D.J.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Good idea with the long lines. I don't need any oil in my NA engine so where do we buy one of those things and can a weekend mechanic install it?

Thanks guys, D.J.
Before you go to all of that effort for an NA engine, you may want to add a simple catch can to see if you are passing oil. This is the setup I use on my vette and it works like a charm on the track.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73303&highlight=catch+dummies

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts