Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be cast into the deep pit of "suckers born everyday" if I was to pop $10 for the Amzoil Super-duty filter ?

Its double the cost of the fram filters I have been using.

The car is used primarily for autocross and I use Amzoil 5-30w.

If I listen to the amzoil rep, he shall have me use no other, so I'm skeptical.

Thanks in advance for intelligent, practical advice.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hmm, I just paid $11.5 for several K&N 1007's. Guess I am sitting in the same bowl on the front counter. lol.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Fram = crap.

At least use something better than Fram. I'm not sure that the amsoil is the best, but its certainly better than Fram.

Also, $5/extra filter to protect your $50k car? Seems like a no brainer to me, even if the filter might only be a bit better.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Fram = caca

If you read up on the flow and the filtration of oil filters you will find that the Fram is a very poor oil filter. They just advertise heavy thats all. You can do much better than a Fram.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Run away from Fram!

I would only use a high quality oil filter.

Alex

·
Registered
806 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Hmm, I just paid $11.5 for several K&N 1007's. Guess I am sitting in the same bowl on the front counter. lol.
Yep, me too!!! I have never used anything but K&N! :yeadog:

·
Registered
259 Posts
jochalek said:
Would I be cast into the deep pit of "suckers born everyday" if I was to pop $10 for the Amzoil Super-duty filter ?

I use only AMSOIL products including there oil filters and I have no issues but you already know that . You can get all AMSOIL products at wholesale just by becoming a preferred customer and that puts the filters ( I THINK ) in the $8.00 range cheaper then K&N and Mobil filters. I buy AMSOIL products in bulk ( oil has no shelf life that I know of ) so the preferred customer annual fee has little affect on cost. Contact SUBDRIVER and he will line you out on AMSOIL you won't regret it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Take a read of this, I think you will be a lot more comfortable with the Amsoil oil filter. I wouldn't use the Fram on my car. Right now I am running Baldwins because they are easier to get than Amsoil, but the Amsoil is a good filter.

Oil Filter Study

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input everybody. I called my amzoil rep and ordered a box of filters for all three of my vehicles.

I read the link that vettenuts forwarded and that study did it for me. I will always give my business to a local company if possible. Amzoil is right here in WI

·
Registered
853 Posts
The study was very informative thanks for the info!! :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jochalek said:

PLEASE, use any kind of filter but Fram, 13 to 15 years ago Fram was the best oil filter you could buy. For whatever reason Fram chose to go the other way. Fram is the worse oil filter made IMO. :z:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I didnt know FRAM was considered "bad" i guesss i shouldnt install it when i change my oil.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
I am using Wix (cause a got a case for free) and K&N.

Some may say I am throwing my money away but I change my oil evry 3K miles.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The Amsoil oil filter is rated up with some of the best. There are many good filters to choose from. Amsoil filters are priced a little lower than some of the other high end filters ... at least that's what I've found.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm partial to the AMSOIL SDF filters, but maybe I'm a little biased. :lol:

AMSOIL recently released a capacity and efficiency comparison with some of the other major brands which is on this page of my dealer website:
AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter

Vette part number is SDF 32

As mentioned above (thanks!), AMSOIL preferred customers save 20-25% on retail prices. Please contact DJWORM or me if you have any questions. Thanks for your support. :cheers:

AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody using Mobil 1 filters? Seems like a good match egineering wise for Mobil 1 oil...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Amsoil filters are great. I have been using them for several years. If you use them with Amsoil you will be even more impressed with how long your oil stays clean or golden.

I use so much oil that I became a dealer. I maintain 4 vehicles, a motorcycle, two lawnmowers, and a tractor, not to mention my buddy's vehicles. I use Amsoil in everything and the stuff is amazing. It makes sense to pay the 25 bucks to become a dealer and buy at a pretty good discount.

Maybe Subdriver can sign you up! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
1rarebeast said:
Anybody using Mobil 1 filters? Seems like a good match egineering wise for Mobil 1 oil...
If you look hard at the data on this guy's website:
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/
you'll see that the AMSOIL SDF filter has over 50% higher flow with more capacity and the same filtration as the Mobil 1 filter. Cost is the same at retail, but AMSOIL preferred customers can get the AMSOIL SDF filter about $2.50 less than the Mobil 1 filter.

But, don't get me wrong, the Mobil 1 is a good filter and I used it myself before switching to AMSOIL. :cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts