Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have a bit of a problem and am not sure what the cause of it might be. So here is the problem. Once in a while the motor will idle up to 2,000 RPM's, or so, and stay there for a few seconds. Then it will fall to 4-500, RPM's, or so, and back up again. It is getting worse and I have not clue as to what the cause might be. The intake system is a Halltech cold air and the bored throttle body. So, has anyone had this problem before? As for the history on this motor. It is an oil burner, valve pinging, and yes I use 92 octane gas, valve rattling and surging piece of S$#T. I would appreciate any available info.

Sincerely,
Justin C.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I heard a while back a story like yours with a BBK throttle body, there was some bad t-bodies shipped from the BBK factory. Their idle would jump around and then come back to normal.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This is usually a problem of an air leak some where in the intake system. I would recheck all of the connections to be sure you are not sucking air that is not picked up by the MAF.

Also, Did you remove the MAF screen ? Some people have had this problem when this is done.

I have mine removed and also have the Magic Box from Halltech and have not had a problem.

01 Z06 -MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper,Halltech Tric Ti,MAG,Magic Box - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would agree with the throttle body issue, and would ask how much mileage you have on the car.
Best, c4c5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank all of you for the replies. The throttle body is a Halltech and I checked for air leaks but didn't find any. I'll check again, just to be safe. A couple new problems have came up since I originally made the above post. DIC displayed the message "Service Active Handling" and the Check engine light comes on once in a while, yet nothing seems to be wrong. Perhaps I need a priest to chase off the demons that live in my engine and transmission. LOL. As for the mileage, over 23,000. I know it's high but its a daily driver.

Sincerely,
Justin C.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hall Tech was using the BBK t-bodies, it is either a stock unit that Hall Tech modified or BBK, I would check with them. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
396 Posts
Check the codes. I talked to a GM tech today who said he had a 2000 come in that through 52codes all at once. caused some crazy stuff. It ended up being a defaulty computer. But looking at the codes will give you a starting point.

01 QuickSliver

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
If you trust your dealer's service department, take it to them for an evaluation.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I checked all the clamps, checked the bolts that attach the throttle body to the intake manifold, looked for any rips in the rubber attachments, sprayed carburetor cleaner around the connections looking for an air leak and found nothing. The battery is disconnected so hopefully it was a computer glitch.

One more thing. I didn't note this earlier and it has just occurred to me a couple days ago, the only time this happens is when the A/C is on. If I shut the A/C off it doesn't happen. However if it is on, then all hell breaks loose.

As for my modifications, they consist of:
1) Halltech Trick, Carbon Fiber Cobra and a stock throttle body that has been bored out.
2) MAFS screen is gone.
3) B&M Ripper Shifter
4) B&B PRT/Speedway tips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello....Seems this thread needs a shot of magic?
What is the code your getting please?

When the A/C is on the PCM takes this into consideration and idles up the throttle. (this is normal) Your fluctuation is extreme. Has the car ever had an IDLE LEARN since the TB has been changed?
It sounds to me like it doesn't know where to put the idle.
A run on the scan tool would make this easier to say for sure.

If the above has been checked and cleared then I would take a look at the TAC module which is piggy backed to the PCM.

I need the code your getting, we have had problems with the TAC module.

I believe your problem is one of the above 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts