Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good
* Extremely high quality unit - I looked and looked and could not find any carpet seams, screw holes, nothing.
* Perfect carpet match on the '02 carpet
* Decent sound suppression... not as much as I was hoping for, but not bad.
* Very good fit

Bad
* Install instructions are worthless... I'm not sure how far back the partition is supposed to sit... and what's that blurry, grainy, pic of some dude's big thumb ?! For what i paid, I would like a nice sharp pic, where exactly to drill holes, before drilling holes, after holes are drilled, with snaps installed, etc.
$50K car, fiberglass body, power drill... am i the only one nervous here ?! For a $99 partition... a pic of a thumb is fine.
* To contradict my "good fit" above... A tighter fit would have been nice... There is a noticeable gap on top, and the bottom intersects the edge of the trunk compartment, so there is a gap there too. I'll admit, the gap at the top would be very difficult to get tighter due to the curved body... maybe some thicker carpeting or dense foam (just a sliver) or something... I think this would greatly help further sound suppression. BTW, I'm not buying the "air gap" so doors close... I'll push on the doors a little harder.
* Partition weighs ~12lbs... not 6lbs as stated on Nate's website...

Ugly
* Well, I cant think of anything ugly.

But one comment: Andy (and resellers)... i dont mean to tell you how to run your business, or have any idea what the COGS on this unit is... but IHVMO... the demand for something like this should be very elastic based on price... meaning if you halved the price, you would more than double the units sold... just my $0.02.

But overall, i'm a satisfied customer!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Dreamin,
Now I feel bad. I installed mine over Thanksgiving and have been meaning to put up a detailed step by step instructions with full pictures. I too found the directions lacking and was nervous about the placement and the drilling.
My brother is adept at tools, so I got him to climb in the trunk (yes I have pics) and do the job. I had little confidence in my own abilities, but I have seen myself screw up with a drill before.....
I will still get them up, but my girlfriend is the one that does that for me and she just killed her internet connection at home.
After I get them up we can compare.

I have to admit though, even though I have an '01 design with the carpet that doesn't quite match, I don't care. I bought mine used for a price that I have never seen that low (before or after) and I love having a trunk divider. The divider alone is worth it for me. But I probably paid a lot less than the rest of you. :D

chris

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have been very pleased with Andy's partition as installed in my '02. I bought it at a GP price, took about about 10 minutes to install using my cordless power drill. Biggest problem for me was access to the drilled areas - since I am 6'2", and 212 lbs. I agree that the directions could be clearer, but with my wife helping me "trial fit" the unit, it soon became apparent where the two holes should be drilled.

Concerning the gap at the top - Andy said a small gap is necessary to facilitate a little air flow to the rear - makes closing the doors a lot easier, also channels some air to the trunk during those 110 mph trips to the store when you have your driver's side window down...

;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ecklers just presses into the space (1 minute) and done. Only $99 and no drilling. Matched fine for me in my 02. I do like the emblem on Nates but way too much money in my opinion. The red embroidered C O R V E T T E on the Ecklers unit has grown on me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Agent, would you post a pic? I like the fact that no drilling is required:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with Agent. I have the Ecklers it does the job and is a no hassle installation. :D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Awesome Observation

I will have to agree about the pics!

These are changing .SORRY!!

As far as the instructions ,Any input would help and would be appreciated .

Out of the many we have sold this is the first time for me to see someone analyze it to this extreme.In fact I am glad this was brought to my attention .I suppose after installing several of these myself that I take for granted how easy it is with proper tools,and not everybody has them .

If you would like to further comments on this subject or make recommendations ,Please email me [email protected] or [email protected].

About the gap- If you did not have someone push the partition back while the snap location was marked ,there is a chance that the partition will fit loose at the top . A cure to this would be not to redrill a new hole ,Simply twist the snap strap several turns to make it shorter in length ,which inturn will make you have to pull a little harder hence making it a tighter fit . Also another note about this gap - For customers of mine and also Nate and West coast- I found early on that Cargo Mats were being purchased at the same time as the partition ,when the cargo mat is installed underneath the partition it made it fit very tight - To Tight- Infact a change was made of 1/8 inch in the corners and middle to accomadate this . And last but not least - If you pull you carpet back in the left rear quarter panel you will see a vent in the body panel -This vent does infact allow for airflow when the doors are shut with the windows in the full closed position . So to answer the question -WHY THE SMALL GAP?

Please keep me posted on anything you feel I need to change ,I will see to it that something will be done.

BTW - ANY WEB DESIGNERS OUT THERE!I need my sight built ASAP.

Thanks
Andy Mages
ZO6 PARTS INC.
Dallas Tx:cheers:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Center and side covers available!

Pics can be emailed to you if you would like guys.

We have 2001 and 2002 center covers and side storage covers available .As you all know it is impossible to get these that actually match(OURS DO) .I shipped West Coast Corvettes and Also Nate these this week and they will have them for shipping by next monday.

Please email for pics !!
[email protected] or [email protected]

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pics of the Ecklers partition or a digital camera. Somebody else had posted pictures either here or in the corvette forum. If you do a search you should find them. I will try to find the link and post it here if I get time today (I am at work). No gap with the Ecklers unit also.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I got one of Andys partitions from West Coast Corvettes. I had it in my '01 and kept it when I traded it in on my '02. I put it in my self both times. The hardest part of the install is getting your fat a&@ in and out of the trunk! When I installed the partition in my '02 I bought a rivet tool to secure the snaps, that makes for a more secure snap. I don't quite understand what the problem is that some of you are having putting this thing in. stick it in, mark where the snaps should be, drill two holes, install snaps, stick that sucker in. I had a cargo mat in my trunk that I had a rug maker cut in half and seem for a nice fit. I've had a lot of people think it is a factory part. I know the partition is expensive, but I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Lambinator said:
Ecklers=cheesy:puke:
Andy's=:cool:

I have Andy's red partition installed - it looks awesome!:cheers:
I, too, have the red partition from Nate @ Xtreme.

Looks fantastic and gets mucho compliments..... :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine looks and fits AWESOME!!! 02 Carpet match is PERFECT. If you purchase the COVERS for the back you will see that it fits EXCELLENT with the partition.
I didn't even have to climb into the trunk at all. I just positioned the partition and pulled the straps back,marked and drilled the two holes from standing on the ground and I was done.With the partition and the covers installed with the trunk open it looks 100% FACTORY. Andys stuff is with out a doubt the very BEST!!
Andy is a customer service oriented manufacturer. I am sure after a complaint about the instructions being vague and unclear they will be corrected. This guy REALLY CARES. I will be posting pics soon with the full enchilada installed.

Jackhammer:guiness:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts