Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
81,xxx Miles on my 02 Z06. Daily driver and an occasional autocrosser. Recently, my oil pressure sensor died so I replaced it with the DPE relocation unit with the manual gauge. Nice stuff. Everything came right back to fully operational. Pressure pegged at 40psi and only rises when I really jump on it. Then I changed my oil this weekend. 7qts 5W30 Mobil 1 High Mileage and the proper AC Delco filter. Same as always.

The last two days on my 45 minute drive to and from work, towards the end of my drive, the oil pressure falls to 26-ish psi as I sit in traffic at idle. Rises to 35-40psi while driving. Oil temp is between 212 and 230. Air temp is upper 70's. AC off. No odd sounds and the car runs strong. Checks the dip stick and oil level is correct. No foaming, no leaks, no drips, no burning smells.

I've read a million threads on this topic and some say its normal and some say its a concern.

Just wondering if I gotta start doing more research or if I'm just being overly paranoid. Thanks everyone.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Refer to your owners manual under "gauges" as it shows what the oil pressure window is

If no error codes or messages are showing via the DIC then no problems as to oil pressure
Pressure levels can be different as to temps, elevation and density to your area and type of driving

If weather is above 0 degrees GM says 10W30 Mobil I can be used and for racing I'd use a 15W40 as less blowby

Oil pressure should be 20 to 80 psi (140 to 550 kPa).

(In certain situations such as long, extended idles on hot days, it could read as low as 6 psi (40 kPa) and still be
considered normal.) It may vary with engine speed, outside temperature and oil viscosity, but readings above the shaded area show the normal operating range.

Readings in the shaded area tell you that the engine is low on oil, or that you might have some other oil problem. See “Engine Oil” in the Index.
The engine oil pressure can also be displayed using the GAGES button on the Driver Information Center (DIC).
See “Driver Information Center” in the Index

1 - 3 of 3 Posts