Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Z06 that I installed nitrous on last week. It only dynoed 358.5 rwhp and about the same torque on the baseline run....I was very dissappointed. I was expecting about 370 or so. I have installed the B&B Triflo Bullets and have done the zip-tie mod with the K&N filter. The car feels really strong so the low numbers surprised me...but I felt a little better when it went over 500rwhp and 600 torque on the bottle. :thumb:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Was that SAE or uncorrected? 02's have been known to have factory tunes that leave much to be desired. Also, do you have the stock plugs in still? Has the car sat for a long period of time? More info on the car would be helpful.

As for myself, mine had sat for over a year and was 100000% stock including the air filter. For my stock baseline I was dissappointed too. She put down 340rwhp SAE and 357rwhp uncorrected. However, mine was pinging at 4k rpms which causes it to reduce power. I have change the plugs and wires but not the fuel filter. Noticed a huge improvement in throttle response and smoothness. I plan on tweaking the tune and going back before I do anymore mods. Keep the faith!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Dyno's can vary by 20-25 HP.

Run of the mill Dyno Jets seem to run higher than inertia (load) dyno's.

I've seen this much of a discrepancy on my car.....same day different dynos.....

:cheers:

·
Registered
413 Posts
most stock base rwhp are in the 345 to 360rwhp range with many around 354rwhp....catback exhuast and ziptie don't add much rwhp...maybe 5-8rwhp...so your numbers are probably normal.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Electron Blue said:
Was that SAE or uncorrected? 02's have been known to have factory tunes that leave much to be desired.
Yep. Take a good look at the A/F ratios. many 02's run very rich right from the factory. What you have is in the range and tuning will be well worth while. Good Luck :thumb:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I think with the mods you have your hp sounds right on the money..

You shouldn't be disappointed in the least...

REmember dynos are only simulations of performance testing...

Tests in general have an error factor of probably 2 to 3 percent...

You want 385 to 390 rwhp ...? then throw a set of kooks or LG long tubes on...and get a dyno tune..

1800 to 2 grand ..is your installed and dynotuned cost..give or take a hundred depending on where you live.

One of those two stainless steel brands of headers would be my choice if I were you looking to add power..

I have heard of one gentlemen who took a 2002 or 2003 Z06 and threw on the 205 AFR heads without headers for a cost of about 3 grand installed/tuned and got 409 rwhp..

Might be a way to go? You might try a search on STANO as his car was the one I remember that did the AFR heads...stock cam and no headers and hit 409rwhp

Want to spend around 2 grand...you get around 390rwhp
Want to spend around 3 grand....you could repeat stanos AFR only scenerio and get around 409 rwhp...(you probably could sell the stock LS6 heads for around 800 to recoupe some of your costs...

But before you start...take some time and ask yourself where you want to end up....

Plan accordingly...as I've seen at times....cam and header/tuned specials for like 3600 dollars...that can throw down 433rwhp ...

Thats not bad either...

Just remember...its contagious so decide where you want to end up..and how much you want to spend...

Hope this helped..and fwiw..I think the rwhp you achieved is right on the money...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Electron Blue said:
Was that SAE or uncorrected? 02's have been known to have factory tunes that leave much to be desired. Also, do you have the stock plugs in still? Has the car sat for a long period of time? More info on the car would be helpful.

As for myself, mine had sat for over a year and was 100000% stock including the air filter. For my stock baseline I was dissappointed too. She put down 340rwhp SAE and 357rwhp uncorrected. However, mine was pinging at 4k rpms which causes it to reduce power. I have change the plugs and wires but not the fuel filter. Noticed a huge improvement in throttle response and smoothness. I plan on tweaking the tune and going back before I do anymore mods. Keep the faith!

What plugs and wires did you replace yours with? I think I may need to do that too, as I was expecting more out of it when I dyno'd the car. I also had the pinging at 4000 rpm, which really shows up on the chart. Will plugs and wires eliminate that?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!

The 358.5rwhp was SAE, it was not the standard higher number. I have changed my plugs. I put in NGK TR6's for the nitrous application. The car ran smooth before and after the plug change. It has 15000 miles on it and i drive it almost everyday. I plan on doing a head/cam/headers install this summer but as I said, breaking the 500rwhp/600torque with the nitrous will be enough for a few months! lol :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
what company and shot are you running to be making that hp/tq with NX........... :jawdrop:

I am looking to add some juice and was thinking of going the route of TNT 75, to maybe a 100shot(dry).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't feel bad mine Dynoed at 345 stock. When I put the scanner on it the A/F ratio was about 10.8 from the factory.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm running the Zex wet shot with the 150 pill. The kit only came with 50-125 jets, I ordered the 150. The kit was easy to hook up but the digital MSD window switch was a real pain. With the 150 wet shot my air fuel was WAY to rich, and I am going back to get it tuned, but it was putting down 512/627. I only ran it once. I will have more numbers to compare with once i carry it back and have a few back to back runs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts