Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my understanding, the clutch pedal “sticking” to the floor is basically caused by a mis-aligned clutch pack which causes the slave cylinder on the clutch to wobble and eventually let air into the clutch hydraulic system.

My question is – if this is the case, will the sticking clutch pedal symptom show up with relatively low miles on the car? I might assume it would be dependant on how much wobbling was going on, but you would think this would happen fairly soon in the car’s life if there was much wobble at all.

For those of you who have had this problem, how many miles were on the car when it started happening?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine occured at 13,500 miles. Supposedly, an unevenly torqued pressure plate is the culprit of the warped clutch which subsequently lets air in the slave cylinder. How early it happens on a susceptible C5 will depend on the initial load placed on the clutch pack, i.e. launching hard, powershifting the gears, etc. and how often. GM replaced my pressure plate, flywheel, disc, and both cylinders.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2004 Z06 developed the sticking clutch pedal at about 5,000 miles. It's at the dealer right now getting a new flywheel and clutch assembly. They told me there was a bulletin on 05's and certain 04's with the problem and mine was one of the 04's in the bulletin.

I'll share the bulletin when I pick up my car and get a copy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Winchester said:
My 2004 Z06 developed the sticking clutch pedal at about 5,000 miles. It's at the dealer right now getting a new flywheel and clutch assembly. They told me there was a bulletin on 05's and certain 04's with the problem and mine was one of the 04's in the bulletin.

I'll share the bulletin when I pick up my car and get a copy.

Mine started at around 30,000. I'll be watching this thread for updates.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well they still haven't figured it out. My C6 did it!
WOW! ... that's unbelievable. After all these years you would think they could get this problem fixed.

To me it sounds more like a manufacturing process problem (bad torquing sequence, etc) during assembly than badly designed parts if it's still happening on C6s. :-?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Mine started to show the first signs of this issue at about 16k miles after a season and a half of hard racing. The next time I had the motor out, I changed the clutch as well before it got too bad. :cheers:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine started at about 45000 on my 2002 Coupe. Started with slow release and ended up finally sticking to the floor this week at the strip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Picked up my car from dealer today. They originally said that a bulletin applied to 2005's and some 2004's. Said the bulletin applied to my car. They ordered parts listed in bulletin and discovered they wouldn't fit. They said they checked with Chevrolet and found the bulletin didn't apply to Z06's. (They wouldn't give me a copy of the bulletin since it did not apply to my car but the bulletin number referenced in the paperwork is 0507-.1-001.)They special ordered parts and replaced the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch under warranty. I'll give it about 500 miles and then see if the clutch still sticks under heavy acceleration and shifting.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It's just recently started happening to me too. Time to give more serious thought to aftermarket setups.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My 2002 Z06 at just over 300 miles. Clutch was replaced.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It seems the mileage when this could happen is all over the map.

I was wondering if the guys who have had it happen with low mileage (say 5000 or less) could feel any vibration in the clutch pedal when it was depressed (clutch disengaged - throw out bearing engaged).

Could be these cars with real low mileage have more clutch mis-alignment that could cause some type of vibration to show up in the pedal as an indicator of problems to come?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Morzoff said:
My 04 just started sticking :ity:
Wow - so it is an inherent design flaw then.. :roll:

GM should be required to keep fixing this problem for free for the life of the car - period.

But of course once you are over 36,000 miles you are screwed.

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
WOW! ... that's unbelievable. After all these years you would think they could get this problem fixed.

To me it sounds more like a manufacturing process problem (bad torquing sequence, etc) during assembly than badly designed parts if it's still happening on C6s. :-?
Well - GM is not known for using the best products or process so you may be onto something.

Although I must add, my car had the problem on the orginal clutch, and 2 more replacements (these happened witin 1,000 miles of replacement) - and now the 3rd has been sorta starting to get sticky as well.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Happened 2 times for me now under "spirited" driving. Have an appointment for Monday the 16th. They said that they first test the hydraulic pressure of the slave?????

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
First one started at 6K after that approx. 3K after each new GM clutch until I wised up and installed a Spec 3.
25K miles later and still no sticking clutch and this is with the same hydraulics that the last GM clutch had.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
After 3 of them installed under warranty I got sick of agruing with GM and bought a aftermarket set up and haven't had a problem since. It IS a shame GM can't come to the table or at least fix the problem in the new models so they don't have this problem. Mine is a 02. I have never tracked it or run it on the strip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts