Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out my Vararam Street filter yesterday to see what happens after 1k miles of driving

#1)I accidently ripped a bit of the edge, should that be fine right?

#2)I went ahead and washed it with hot water and soap and sat it to dry, Should I go head and oil it?

#3) I heard K&N filter are better, for what reason? do they still perform as good as the Street vararam version?

·
Registered
387 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I pulled out my Vararam Street filter yesterday to see what happens after 1k miles of driving

#2)I went ahead and washed it with hot water and soap and sat it to dry, Should I go head and oil it?

#3) I heard K&N filter are better, for what reason? do they still perform as good as the Street vararam version?
Obviously, the filters are poorly made, when compared to K&N or Green. This has been, and continues to be, one of, if not the biggest complaint about Vararam.

I have been told that the foam filters deteriorate over time and may be sucked into the engine itself.

Personally, not worth the risk.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If I were in your situation, I would not start the car untill I had a K&N replacement filter. That's just me. :usa:

·
Registered
259 Posts
HI
I got my VARARAM from L.A.P.D. and if I ripped mine that easily taking it out to clean it , I would talk to them . There service has been good for me and I think they would probably make it right if you get my drift. As for the oil, if it is a street filter from L.A.P.D. they say NO oil . I use mine dry as per there instructions .
As for the K&N filter, it is in fact an excellent filter. It scored I think a 98 out of a 100 in a test I just read. There were others that scored higher on that particular day in that particular test , none of the filters in the test were foam so I don't know if it filters better then the foam one . The K&N is not designed for the VARARAM and fits it poorly , it must be sealed with silicone or it will leak and you will suck dirt. Foam filters have been around a long time, they are used in Baja and dirt bike racing and they work well . I think the big difference in the foam and the K&K is that the K&N will go 10,000 miles before needing to be cleaned , the foam can not. You MUST maintain the foam filter I plan on cleaning mine every 2,000 miles . I also will have my oil analyzed to see just how well the air filter is working and will post the results in the fall. The pollen is real bad right now ( you know that yellow stuff that settles on everything ) and as soon as it subsides a little I will pull the filter and check it . Until I find a dirty throttle body I have to believe JMHO
Bob :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I have had the form filter for three years with the only problem that I had was the edges coming apart, GE Clear Silicone took care of that. The Throttle body has always been clean..... A few other members I know have had the same issues but never a problem with the Throttle body becoming dirty....

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
JMO but I'd dump the foam filter and put the k & N type filter in..

Not worth the aggravation.

HTH

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
shane said:
I have a vararam and would like to put a K & N filter in. Anybody know of any part numbers?

K&N P/N 33-2522 :z:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I must say the K&N part is an VERY poor fit. Even after buying the Vararam gasket kit for it it was every bit as concerning as the foam, just out of concern for gaps being made.

I did have some dirt on my TB after 40k miles on my Vararam, but I admittedly did a poor job cleaning and had the most open version of the VR Competition filter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
COUTO1981 said:

Try reading this it may help you make a decision http://www.unifilter.com/performance-facts.htm
Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
OLDGUY said:
HI
I got my VARARAM from L.A.P.D. and if I ripped mine that easily taking it out to clean it , I would talk to them . There service has been good for me and I think they would probably make it right if you get my drift. As for the oil, if it is a street filter from L.A.P.D. they say NO oil . I use mine dry as per there instructions .
If you are using a foam filter without oil, you are passing dirt into the engine. I strongly suggest you either call Patrick at Vararam to explain how the filter works or stop by any motorcycle shop. Unless you are just using the foam as a pre-filter it needs oil on it to be effective.

Count,
As Tom F stated, as long as the tear is not in the filtering surface, just use silicone to reattach. If it is in the filtering surface you need a new filter.
The foam needs to be completely dry. Then try and get some PJ-1 oil (any motocross shop should have it). This is an extremly sticky oil and does a great job of holding the dirt.
Foam filters are a lot of work, you need to clean them every 2 to 3 K to ensure effective filtering. If you are not going to be able to keep on it, then get a K&N and seal it well in the vararam, since you do not need to clean it as often siliconing in the lid is not that big a deal.

Good Luck :thumb:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Backlash said:
If you are using a foam filter without oil, you are passing dirt into the engine. I strongly suggest you either call Patrick at Vararam to explain how the filter works or stop by any motorcycle shop. Unless you are just using the foam as a pre-filter it needs oil on it to be effective.

Good Luck :thumb:
HI Backlash
I sent an e-Mail to Patrick yesterday about running the foam filter dry and just got an answer ( 10:40 Monday morning NY time talk about good service ) . The filter from L.A.P.D. is a special BAJA filter and it can be run with or without oil .If it is used oiled it MUST only have a light coat of oil . All that being said I do APPRECIATE :ity: your concern for the well-being of my engine and it is always good to get the manufactures input P.S. I think I will spray a LITTLE PJ-1 on it just to be safe
Bob
:cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Vararam now offers a K&N made just for the Vararam. Made to fit. Contact Vararam.
Robert

·
Registered
259 Posts
Pulled the foam filter from the Vararam and checked the throttle body aprox 2000 miles on filter ------- Just before I pulled the filter I had the unfortunate pleasure of driving past a road repair project where they were cutting CONCRETE the dust was unbelievable the engine compartment was filthy ( you could wright your name on the intake manifold with your finger ). Results------- filter was loaded with dirt ( I use it dry as recommended by LAPD and VARARAM ) TB was spotless ( I wiped it with a new white towel ) so it looks like the BAJA filter works very well, at least it does for me. As for oiling the filter I don't think it could hurt except that the oil will probably start deteriorating the foam filter as soon as it is applied and since it works so well dry why do it .JMHO:cheers: :cheers: Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts