Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been some conclusion to the C5 Z06 vs C6 Z51 debate?

I am trying to figure out whether the "improvements" of the C6 Z51 are enough to over come wider softer rubber shipped on the C5 Z06.

I know we has seen some head to head impromptu drag races, and some magazines have thrown some stuff out... but what about the overall package.

Can the inferior tyred C6 Z51 over come the C5 Z06?

Discussion and contribution welcome.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Stock for Stock I do not think the C6 can out run the Z on a road course or at the drags. The C6 torque mgmt is evil at the drags and better on a road course. At the drags many see the Z's in the mid 12s with the C6 running 13's. The C6 feels better in terms of throttle response and torque on a road course, but the car is not as nimble IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stang-klr-2 said:
That is the typical example of what I do NOT consider proof of anything.

First off, it's a "go when you think you should" street encounter.

In this case the better driver will win 100% of the time.

I can show you video of me beating a Viper in my 385hp 2001 Z06, doesn't mean anything except the Viper was slower off the line.

I am talking about standing start controlled environment tests - and actual road course performance.

Any real world C6 Z51 vs C5 Z06 test results?

·
Registered
30 Posts
RC45 said:
That is the typical example of what I do NOT Any real world C6 Z51 vs C5 Z06 test results?
I read one very convincing one on corvetteforum-- guy and his friend set up their cars (2004 Z06 vs. C6 Z51), ran several times, switched drivers, ran again. I read it a month or so ago, but the conclusion was that it was after controling for the launch neither could gain on the other.

I just tried a search but couldn't find the thread-- sorry.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott GN231 said:
I read one very convincing one on corvetteforum-- guy and his friend set up their cars (2004 Z06 vs. C6 Z51), ran several times, switched drivers, ran again. I read it a month or so ago, but the conclusion was that it was after controling for the launch neither could gain on the other.

I just tried a search but couldn't find the thread-- sorry.

-Scott
So from a drag race perspective there is little in ti between the 2.

OK - what about on a road course?

Does the C6 Z51 equal or beat the C5 Z05 on a road course even though the C6 Z51 ships with harder narrower rubber and weighs more?

·
Registered
959 Posts
The C6 got the jump and even the fact that it has better aerodynamics the Z still reeled him in and was pulling away at 140 MPH.

Was that an '01 Z? Just a thought.

I've never seen a drag test for a stock C6 result in anything better than a 12.8 @ 113 MPH. More Performance dragged one before and after the torque management crap was exorcized from the ECU and the car went 12.5 @ 116.

On Friday night my Stock '02 Z went 12.2 even though a high RPM misfire was keeping my trap speeds down to 112 MPH. 12.2 @ 112 with a 1.87 60' time. I have yet to see anything close to that for a stock C6 Z51, even with drivers that are far better than I at the wheel.

As far as a road course goes I've read several comparissons that lead to the same conclusion - the Z06 is the faster car. Even GM says this, and they would hype their latest car as much as possible if they could.

One thing's for sure, though... the differences are small, and the fact that the "base" Corvette performs at that level is astonishing.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue Angel said:
One thing's for sure, though... the differences are small, and the fact that the "base" Corvette performs at that level is astonishing.
Could this lead to the conclusion that extra hp refinements in suspension/chassis and systems (TC/AH and speed sensitive steering algorythm etc) make up for narrower harder tyres.

I keep comig back to the tyres being the weekest link in most street car situations.

I wonder if any one has done a C5 Z06 wheel and trye swap to a C6 Z51 and recorded the improvements.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GM did testing at Gingerman road coarse. I think it was kind of an impromtu test but someone good was driving, J.H. or maybe Johnny O. It was in a mag. published by GM i think.

2004 Commemorative Ed.(carbon hood, ect) ZO6 vs. 05 Z51

Z51 1:36
Z06 1:34.9

Latest automobile has the C6 Z06 on that track, different driver and different day but for reference the time was:
1:32.7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts