Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back there was some discussion about the importance of getting braided brake lines that were anti static to prevent the abs system from throwing codes. Father's Day is coming up and I gave my wife the info about ordering from Mallett. When she called she was told that the anti static lines were not approved for street use and the only way of obtaining them was through an approved organization. I use my car almost exclusively for the track. Do I need the anti static lines and if so how do I get them?

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
dmtnt said:
Just get the Mallett lines and put shrink tube over them. That's what I did and have never had an issue.
dmtnt,

Where did you get the shrink tube? These are pretty long hoses to cover or did you have to do it in pieces? I have been waiting to purchase lines as well. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, the antistatic lines are the really expensive race-only lines. They are NOT the $150 Goodridge lines. The race version was I believe twice the price and was not DOT legal.

Dope

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I can't believe that anyone actually has this problem. Static discharge from the brake lines causing ABS codes?

I know a fair amount about ESD (electrostatic discharge) and I'll be damned if I can think of a way such a thing could even happen.

Snake oil, at best.

You ask me, this is a bigger waste of money than "grounding kits". Spend the $ on something that'll give you a more tangible benefit.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You'd believe it when the ABS/Traction Control goes out without warning. After switching to the Mallett lines I never had another problem. The problem is the wheel speed sensor at whatever wheel is affected gives a false/incorrect value-don't remember what the allowable parameters are but at a certain point the computer shuts down the ABS/Traction Control System. It does happen and it will get your attention. Grounding straps are another solution as is going back to stock lines.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
dmtnt,

Where did you get the shrink tube? These are pretty long hoses to cover or did you have to do it in pieces? I have been waiting to purchase lines as well. Thanks, Don
A buddy of mine is an electrician so I got it off him. He purchased a roll of it. I forget the exact size, but if you go to an electrical supply house, you should be able to get what you need. Just bring a line with you and get the smallest size that will still fit over the fittings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How?

Frankly, I don't understand how insulating the lines with shrink tube would have any impact. After all, the braided sheath is metallic and fixed at both ends. The chassis hard brake line is grounded, as would be the caliper. What am I missing?

The only time my ABS/Traction has gone off unexpectedly is when going fast on undulating pavement with even spacing. Think "racing curbing" on a track which looks like a sine wave. It confused the system until I did an ignition cycle.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I wanted to put SS lines on and was told last year by Tony (Tony's Corvettes over there <<<<<) that he had a few cars in with problems after installing SS lines ...
The shrink tubing, which is available from some performance and racing vendors (I found a SOS) is to keep the line from grounding on the suspension components.
When I install SS lines I will shrink wrap them.
There is more than one thread here discussing this. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
dmtnt said:
A buddy of mine is an electrician so I got it off him. He purchased a roll of it. I forget the exact size, but if you go to an electrical supply house, you should be able to get what you need. Just bring a line with you and get the smallest size that will still fit over the fittings.
Thanks. :thumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did a search on lines before buying them and found little to no problems with Goodrich lines with the stock bolts in place. That's what I'm running and it's doing fine.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
RocketSled said:
I can't believe that anyone actually has this problem. Static discharge from the brake lines causing ABS codes?

I know a fair amount about ESD (electrostatic discharge) and I'll be damned if I can think of a way such a thing could even happen.

Snake oil, at best.

You ask me, this is a bigger waste of money than "grounding kits". Spend the $ on something that'll give you a more tangible benefit.
I personally know and have seen two fellow racers have issues with ABS faults that have plagued them until they took off their SS lines and put on Goodridge. Why, I have no real idea. I buy the static issue as the cause, but don't really know for sure.

As an FYI, I just called Mallett and asked for the C5 brakes lines with 3AN fittings and got the right ones...

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
AudiBiTurbo said:
Frankly, I don't understand how insulating the lines with shrink tube would have any impact. After all, the braided sheath is metallic and fixed at both ends. The chassis hard brake line is grounded, as would be the caliper. What am I missing?
As far as I can see, nothing. This was my point, exactly. The steel braid is about the best ESD sheild you could hope for.

I *suppose* I could imagine that the *car* develops a charge, and that a conductive brake line would provide a discharge path.

Normally, the control arm is probably insulated from the chassis by its bushings. The body/chassis builds a charge, but it can't get to the wheel. Add a conductive SS line, and you have a path from the chassis to the control arm/wheel hub, and from the wheel, the charge is closer to Ground than any other place on the car.

But you'd need a *mighty* big charge to bridge the air gap from the rim to earth (a spark plug ignition coil doesn't even generate enough voltage for this). And, the discharge path from the control arm would be through the wheel bearing to the rim, not across the air gap for the wheel sensor.

If you change brake lines and have a problem, and then change to a different type of brake line and the problem goes away, the evidence that the brake line (or the type of brake line) was the problem is only anecdotal. I don't deny the truth of the experiences being related here, but none of the evidence proves ESD was to blame. Maybe the act of simply removing and replacing the same exact lines would have been enough to fix the issue, perhaps for example if the original installation hadn't been bled properly bt the second one was?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts