Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? 02 cam worth it? Would probably port the heads at same time. Can the 01 pcm run the 02 cam or would reprogramming be for sure? Ive worked on some motors before ,and my father in law is pretty good at working on vettes (rebuilding his Callaway twin turbo race vettes.)This woul be a great winter project.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
New Cam ? Need valves and springs too!!

Be sure to read the interview with the GM engineer (fall issue of C5 Registry Magizine) telling about the changes in the 2001 and 2002 Z06. He states that you must do the whole swap, hollow valves, springs, new cam and all else that goes with it. This is because of the ramp speed of the cam. Just a cam change and he says "you will have significant valve train distress at 6200-6300 rpm". He "warns about durability over time". He also states if you dont get rid of the pup converters you will see no increase in power. He states the 2002 air box mods, no screen maf and no pup conveters are worth 10 hp. The 2002 cam worth 10 hp, but you must do the first mods or the cam is no good. I am only telling you what i read. I have changed my 2001 to a modified air box, installed the 2002 no pup exhaust ( kept 2001 ti mufflers) and removed my maf screen. Car runs strong, lots of noise out of exhaust. It made a real difference in sound. The pups are very restrictive. let us know what you do, just hopes this helps. Cya:cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
If I were doing a cam swap, I'd go another route, and go for an even more agressive aftermarket cam.

And upgrade the rest of the valve train while I'm at it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not worth it. Go with something like a good MTI cam, they are doing a great sale. I've heard bad things about the GM Hotcam too. They idle rough and don't give you a lot of power.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
mgarfias said:
If I were doing a cam swap, I'd go another route, and go for an even more agressive aftermarket cam.

And upgrade the rest of the valve train while I'm at it.
Bingo!

You're there, you're going to the trouble to rip the front/top of the motor apart, do it right and throw a big 'ole lopey bitch in there! :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Just

NOT SO BIG n' LOPEY, THAT YOU LOSE RWTQ, AND GAIN HP.........AT THE EXPENSE OF BOTTOM, AND MID RANGE TQ..........:eek:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: Just

ZO6LS6 said:
NOT SO BIG n' LOPEY, THAT YOU LOSE RWTQ, AND GAIN HP.........AT THE EXPENSE OF BOTTOM, AND MID RANGE TQ..........:eek:
thats why you raise the compression, and run race fuel :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't do the 02 cam unless you first change out the exhaust. There is little gain to be had unless you get rid of the pre-cats, also you do need to change out the springs etc. as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts