Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend with a modded '98 Cobra wants to run me on a closed interstate road. He's run a best of 12.7 at the track. I know I "should" take him, but wanted to know at what gear/RPM would be best to do a race from? We did this in my '00 Coupe and went from a 40mph punch while I was in 2nd. He slowly crept away until we shut down at 110. Now I'm the one hoping to pull away this time. He said it's my call as to what speed we run from, becasue he's the one that wanted to run from 40 the last time. Any ideas? TIA!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Might try 40-140.

Punching it in 2d gear well up the torque curve.

Takes first gear spin out of the equation. Good to do on what'll probably be cold pavement.

Run in COMPETITION DRIVING mode.

You should take him pretty well.

Your gap should widen beyond 100 mph.

I ran a Mustang that was spraying one time. Walked him... then badly once the speed was beyond 100.

Ranger

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ranger: Thanks for your help. Competition Driving mode is Traction off/AH on, right? I've always confused the 2 settings..... I'll give it a shot from 40, but doubt we'll run up to 140 unless it's a close one.... :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
cyaford said:
... Competition Driving mode is Traction off/AH on, right?....
Correct. Push the button on the console for five seconds. COMPETITION DRIVING will appear on the DIC. Press reset to clear the message. Now TC is off, but AH is still on to limit the worst that can happen.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Ranger

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Tell him you have too much power to punch it at 40 mph in 2nd, you'll go up in smoke. Suggest 70 mph in 3rd. These cars top out about 67 mph in 2nd so at 70 in 3rd you'll be right in the meat of your torque curve. No missed 2-3 shift to worry about.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
cyaford said:
Ranger: Thanks for your help. Competition Driving mode is Traction off/AH on, right? I've always confused the 2 settings..... I'll give it a shot from 40, but doubt we'll run up to 140 unless it's a close one.... :D
You will walk away easily! Keep us posted :yeadog: :z:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
2nd gear. Should pull real strong, and once you hit third, the Cobra will run out of power between 80mph and 100mph. " Later ,Dude" ;)

G

·
20 -40mph 1.5 sec/1st --40-60mph 2nd gear 1.9 sec 60-80mph 3rd gear 2.7 seconds

This information is on a 2001 zo6

For comparision a Porsche 911 TT

20-40mph 2.2 seconds
40-60mph 1.8 seconds
60-80mph 2.5 seconds

This data is from Autoweek's buyers guide I just recieved yesterday..

so unless your friend could beat a Twin Turbo...and even if...your 2002 should be even faster...

Have fun..stay safe and no tickets....

Let us know how it goes..

Btw..was your 2000 a stick or an automatic?

G

·
BTW..throw in a Halltech sidewinder and enjoy the better breathing...with a bolt on...should take about 20 minutes..

If he's running 12.7's you should killllllllllllllllllllllllllll him!

Whats his trap speed?

And if you guys throw in some curves its all over.

Good luck.

JB

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My '00 was a manual...... I talked to Kent(Cobra guy) the other day and now he's uncertain he can make it down here this weekend. :( ..... On the plus side, my wife and I were on the interstate and passed a Mustang GT(I know, I know) and after getting about 10 car lenghts ahead, I see a flicker in his lights and he is about to do the all too famous "Fly By". I was in 6th gear and simply dropped down to 4th and the guy never even got close. When I slowed down and tapped my brakes, he flew by with a friendly bird hanging out his window. :D It might've been this that pissed him off:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Recognize that opinions vary...but the Z06 is strong at all speeds relative to virtually any street car. Among the reasons for going from a roll is to take the launch shock off the drive train and also level the playing field between drivers at different skill levels in launching. Z06 is best if the roll speed in somewhere near the torque peak but not too high...say 3500.

Given this, every driver has his own sweet spot. Suggest trying them all til the Mustang owner cries uncle.

No valid race of this kind should involve only one gear. What kind of fun would that be?

Ranger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts