Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is set to run on SUNOCO 94 which is all it has ever had.. My local garage is able to get this "racing" fuel. I told them I didnt know if it was worth the bucks..

My car has been altered for air/fuel with a higher lift cam and larger heads.. Any benefit to running more octane?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You need to burn unleaded fuel. Use the fuel the car is designed for. If your car is designed for regular fuel, using premium fuel is a waste of money and may hurt performance. Z06's love premium either 91,92 or 93 Octane. The higher the Octane the less hotter the fuel burns so putting 100 octane fuel in a stock Z06 may give less performance than 93 Octane. If you car is highly modified then a Higher Octane can be used with good results providing the car has been tuned for it. The lower the Octane the hotter it burns and produces the most HP, providing you are not getting denotation. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Get yourself a tuner package and check to see if you're getting knock retard. If you are, higher octane might help (it might not if something's busted).

Probably, though, the only measurable benefit will be to the petro company that distills the fuel, ie., your money.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just my $.02 about race fuel...................I know you said you altered the A/F and you're running a different cam and heads. Unless you're running 15:1 with an open loop O2 sensor bank 114 is a waste. As mentioned earlier you want to run the LOWEST octane for your motor to get the MAXIMUM HP. Running too high of octane will HURT your HP! All I will say is this................... I run 100 octane in the fall and 104 in the summer and 104 is only for days over 90 degrees. I have a high compression motor and my car runs great on that setup. I would look into your computer programming to see what's going on. Save your money on the fuel and invest it in a shop who knows what's going on. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only benefit to higher octane is the ability for increased timing thus the slower burn of fuel. If you do not have a program for increased timing and higher octane you won't see any gains - remember the higher the octane the slower the burn.

In simple terms it is that black and white. Been to the track too many times an witnessed disappointed drivers expecting more out of higher octane without a tune specifically for it.

Now, burn higher octane on a program with increased timing and we are talking a whole different ball game.

Just my .02 cents.

D-Day

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone...I knew that the higher octane burned slower and higher comp is needed to benfit from it. I remember when car was stock, I was at a drag strip and on the return road was a SUNOCO pump with 114 at then maybe $4/gal.... so after a few runs not getting times I wanted I threw $40 worth of gas in and proceeded to run SLOWER than I was prior... so you all are correct! :yeadog:

Bottom line on my car is MAYBE a tank of 93 would actually help just a bit since its been on 94 forever..but I will contact the tuner and see what he has it set up for.

Side bar note: Next Monday we are running the POCONO Nascar road course... A bunch of fun at triple digit speeds all day long!
INFO: http://ccnepa.ernccc.org/Documents/CCNEPAPoconoCover05.pdf

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you don't have the compression to require the fuel you're wasting your time and money. Not to mention cooking O2 sensors in the process

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
racingfast said:
Thanks everyone...I knew that the higher octane burned slower and higher comp is needed to benfit from it. I remember when car was stock, I was at a drag strip and on the return road was a SUNOCO pump with 114 at then maybe $4/gal.... so after a few runs not getting times I wanted I threw $40 worth of gas in and proceeded to run SLOWER than I was prior... so you all are correct! :yeadog:

Bottom line on my car is MAYBE a tank of 93 would actually help just a bit since its been on 94 forever..but I will contact the tuner and see what he has it set up for.

Side bar note: Next Monday we are running the POCONO Nascar road course... A bunch of fun at triple digit speeds all day long!
INFO: http://ccnepa.ernccc.org/Documents/CCNEPAPoconoCover05.pdf
You are right on the money with the 93 as the 114 would drain your wallet and performance as you witnessed first hand at the track. I would think 114 should be reserved for a max effort Z, high boost, high compression, etc.

D.J.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The higher octane won't help unless you are running higher compression.
114 Octane racing gas would be good in an engine running 15:1 CR.
In addition LEADED racing gas will harm your sensors and CATS.

However a mildly moded head & cam car and even a stock engine car can benefir from running 100 UNLEADED Racing Gas on the track.

The benefit, beside peace of mind, from the higher octane comes from the fact that Sunoco GT100 (and GTPlus - 104) racing gas is
- double refined
- has a racing additive passage
- is oxygenated and has a higher burnrate and produces higher BTU.

The higher octane alone will not net any increase HP

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJWorm said:
However a mildly moded head & cam car and even a stock engine car can benefit from running 100 UNLEADED Racing Gas on the track.

The benefit, beside peace of mind, from the higher octane comes from the fact that Sunoco GT100 (and GTPlus - 104) racing gas is
- double refined
- has a racing additive passage
- is oxygenated and has a higher burnrate and produces higher BTU.

The higher octane alone will not net any increase HP
DJ: agreed. :jammin: thank you! Then dropping back to a tank of 93 is not a good idea?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stick to 94, get to a shop and dyno the car. Make sure you have a knock sensor hooked up and also look to see if the car pulls any timing. If none of the above happen (knock or timing pull) stay with 94. Good Luck ! :guiness:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts