Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I was wondering how many people out there use their Z's as daily drivers. I am looking to purchase an 02-03 in a couple months and would be putting about 20 miles a day on it for my commute to work. Unfortunately I won't have the option of a beater commuter car for another year or so. Who here commutes the longest in their Z and how has it held up? I appreciate the help:thumb: This is my first post too, btw:D

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I had an 02 that I used for a business car. Put 43k on the clock in 36 months. I loved it. Now I drive my 05 coupe as my work car. Miles of smiles. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used my EB '03 as a "Train Car" until it got demolished by a 16 yr old in a Blazer! I only had to go a few miles a day in it, but it was fun anyway!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I originally planned to make my 03 Z06 a daily driver and sell my 94 Ford Ranger, but in the end decided the insurance on the truck was cheap enough to warrant keeping it around for a work truck; however since getting the Z I have been putting about 20 miles a day on it just because after driving the Ranger I just have to have a little fun! I actually have put more miles on my car than my truck since I got the Z. Something is wrong here....haha.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver because my beater car is stored when the Z is out (and vice versa in the winters!). I drive 8 miles one way to work and can't tell you much about the reliability because I only have 4100 miles on it, but it has held up just fine for what I have driven it. :D Beater cars are good to get. I bought mine for 500 bucks. It has only needed repair costing 300 bucks once and it helps bring the insurance down with the multiple car discount. Just a thought. Sorry if I couldn't be of more help even though I use it as a daily driver!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
drive it every day

in the rain and at times in the snow

·
Registered
292 Posts
mine was my daily driver all winter. snow, rain, or shine, I was driving to work. In New Jersey, that was no easy task. And now, I recently got a promotion at work and received a company car. Go figure, right in time for spring....Anyways, to answer your question, the Z can very easily be a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
58,000 miles and counting.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
DD here. I drive mine rain or shine every single day of the year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Stricknn said:
I am looking to purchase an 02-03 in a couple months and would be putting about 20 miles a day on it for my commute to work.
My '04 Z16 was new last June 28. It has 10,975 miles today. Guess that's a daily driver. :D
I think the secret to keeping it "happy" for the amount of total miles accumulated is making sure it is completely warmed up for each trip (like 200 deg oil temp). This takes more miles than you might expect (like 15-20 or so). Luckily, it is 20 or 25 miles to the golf courses I play 2-3 times a week, and the same "to town (Prescott). And, I have a few 6500 rpm "opportunities" at the end of each trip.

One of my first GMPG jobs was recording thermocouple temps for oil and coolant during "city cycle" 1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 mile trips, every 3 hours over 24 hour cycles. Recording starting temps, temp rises, and cool-down rates. In February. The oil temp "lack" was scary. No better way to wear out an engine without "abuse".

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's the only car I have since I sold the '94. It's about 42 mi round trip to work and back. No problems being a DD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Z06 Daily Driver question

Hi all, I use my 03 Z06 daily in Miami, FL. I drive to downtowm miami each day and love it. STEEDA0011

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine is a daily driver , about 14 miles a day. On my days off it is my daily cruiser, about 50-100 miles a day. Car is a dream to drive. I just love the z when it is working. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
165 Posts
I drive mine every day as this is my only car now that my bike was stolen and except for not being able to have it lowered as much as I want due to scraping, the car has held up great. about 10 months old and almost 15000 miles, I am pleased. Plus, it really iritates the GM that I can blow his 100,000 dollar NSX out and I am just a service manager half his age.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought an 02 as my primary vechicle (can't afford another)
I went to Chevrolet and requested the complete service record for my Z before buying it. With the VIN they can tell you it's entire history and give you a print out. I've found Z's to be extremely reliable as long as they havn't been abused. Now that I'm spoiled, I have no desire to drive anything else. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Almost daily driver here at least during the better months no snow action. It has been very reliable so far at 38,000 plus. I have only had to replace a battery, altenator, and brake control module. Oh and Chevrolet had to replace the rear glass. Great car! Hope to get the new version one day or maybe buy the crate LS7 motor to add to it. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to a great site! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts