Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

As some may have already read, I'm helping a friend with his 2K6 supercharged Z06. We have removed the engine and my diagnostic was "correct" (spun bearings) but the damage is MUCH worse than expected.

Right now we are starting to look for an LSx short block and reuse the current LS7 engine parts to complete the engine.

I would really appreciate any recommendations on this subject. Our objective is to have a safe engine that can produce around 700-750 Horses to the wheel.

Please have in mind we are located in Chile, south-america, so buying from someone we can trust and that will deliver what they claim is very important for us.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Hello everyone,

As some may have already read, I'm helping a friend with his 2K6 supercharged Z06. We have removed the engine and my diagnostic was "correct" (spun bearings) but the damage is MUCH worse than expected.

Right now we are starting to look for an LSx short block and reuse the current LS7 engine parts to complete the engine.

I would really appreciate any recommendations on this subject. Our objective is to have a safe engine that can produce around 700-750 Horses to the wheel.

Please have in mind we are located in Chile, south-america, so buying from someone we can trust and that will deliver what they claim is very important for us.
There are numerous engine builders that will build you a short block with all forged rotating assemblies and the correct pistons for a boosted application for pretty reasonable prices. My short block was built by LME (Late Model Engines) in Houston, Texas. There are others such as Texas Speed, SDPC, HKE etc. that are all based in Texas. Price depends on what you want and the block that they use, but you can pretty much plan on spending around 5-6 thousand USD for a quality build. Personally I would stay away from an LS7 block for a boosted motor and would highly recommend an LS3 block or an iron block for an FI build. It will be stronger and cheaper in the long run.
Your existing LS7 heads and intake manifold will bolt right on. Hope this helps.

Jimbo

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I like the 427 LSX and the 427 Warhawk short blocks the best.

Depending on your power goals, you'll have to decide whether you want to go aluminum block or iron block (LSX & Warhawk have both available). Obviously with the aluminum block you save on weight but the iron block is far safer with very hi hp applications. A decision you'll need to make.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, we have decided to go with an Iron block (that's what I thought an LSX was). I was checking AES Racing website and sent a message yesterday.

We have also talked to Texas Speed.

I have just received a message from the owner and he wants to go for a Long block instead of short.

The idea is to have something that will safely hold 1000hp but stay in the safe side and make 800

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
I have been exchanging mails with Kyle from Thompson Motorsports and all I have is good comments. 99% sure we will be ordering a custom short block + some additional parts from them on monday.

***edited***

Sorry but links to non supporting vendors is not allowed here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts