Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone has any engine problems after removing the steering column lock? I can rev the engine up to redline just fine with the clutch in, but when I put it in gear, I can only drive 5 feet before the throttle cuts out and the engine dies. I do get the service column lock warning message on startup.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
What year is your 'Vette? Is it an auto or 6 speed? On the auto trannies they are actually supposed to remove the column lock mechanism. On the 6 speed cars they're only supposed to do a PCM reflash. Either way it sounds like you're headed to the dealer. I haven't heard of any problems like you describe. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
you cannot remove the CL without causing the exact problem described above. For the Autos, they don't remove the CL, they remove the latch/pawl. Wly they don't do the exact same for the Manual is a mystery. For manuals, they reprogram.

the actuator motor needs to stay or the PCM won't let You drive the car.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
RocketSled said:
you cannot remove the CL without causing the exact problem described above. For the Autos, they don't remove the CL, they remove the latch/pawl. Wly they don't do the exact same for the Manual is a mystery. For manuals, they reprogram.

the actuator motor needs to stay or the PCM won't let You drive the car.
The reason that can't for manuals transmissions, is because of the Federal Law that says all cars must have a theft deterrent. The Automatic transmission cars lock in park. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts