Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen (or have) some solid evidence to any of these intakes (stinger, FIPK, blackwing etc..) increasing HP/TQ at all? They all claim they make more power, yet I have never seen any proof (on a lightning I've seen it go the other way with a K&N, losing 8hp).

With 12k miles on the clock and spring approaching quickly, I'm going to replace the stock air filter, but I'm wasting $230+ dollars on something thats not going to do anything.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Good question and one that needs to be asked. A few years ago on "Horsepower TV or one of those shows" they installed a K&N air cleaner and housing on a C5. According to their Dyno they showed a 22HP gain at the rear wheels. Sounds impressive. Then you read here and elsewhere that some Chevy Dealers aren't honoring the warranty if air filter oil messes things up. I give up. :eyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Melsy said:
Good question and one that needs to be asked. A few years ago on "Horsepower TV or one of those shows" they installed a K&N air cleaner and housing on a C5. According to their Dyno they showed a 22HP gain at the rear wheels. Sounds impressive. Then you read here and elsewhere that some Chevy Dealers aren't honoring the warranty if air filter oil messes things up. I give up. :eyes:
Yeah Ford won't either anymore. The problem there is people are over-oiling the filters (alot of K&N's ship that way too) and then the oil gets sucked into the rest of the intake, coating it all.

And I don't believe anything "Horse$hit TV" does, they're paid to make to "test products" look good. :flaming: (The tech on the show however is usually pretty good)

I'm looking for real world people and anything they've seen.

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Steelgrave said:
Has anybody seen (or have) some solid evidence to any of these intakes (stinger, FIPK, blackwing etc..) increasing HP/TQ at all? They all claim they make more power, yet I have never seen any proof (on a lightning I've seen it go the other way with a K&N, losing 8hp).

With 12k miles on the clock and spring approaching quickly, I'm going to replace the stock air filter, but I'm wasting $230+ dollars on something thats not going to do anything.

Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7954380209&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Have a slightly used FIPK with cut shroud as per Mfg.instructions. You can try, reasonable PM me. I was able to get 22hp gain but I also did headers? Now i'm blown
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,475 Posts
Steelgrave said:
Has anybody seen (or have) some solid evidence to any of these intakes (stinger, FIPK, blackwing etc..) increasing HP/TQ at all? They all claim they make more power, yet I have never seen any proof (on a lightning I've seen it go the other way with a K&N, losing 8hp).

With 12k miles on the clock and spring approaching quickly, I'm going to replace the stock air filter, but I'm wasting $230+ dollars on something thats not going to do anything.

Thanks
You will get lots of opinions on this both positive and negative. I have a Vararam on mine, but did it along with a few other mods, (LT headers, catback, smooth coupler etc.)
Once tuned, it did pick up almost 35rwhp and 30rwtq on a mustang dyno, and a very noticeable SOTP improvement.
How much of the gain was the Vararam responsible for, I have no way of knowing, maybe 10 hp? One thing I do know
is that my car has got to be making real decent hp with these
simple bolt-on mods to turn the 1/4 mile trap speeds it has put up, especially with the track conditions and high temps and humidity at Beech Bend last July during the fest. My best mph is in my sig, and out of the 8 passes I made that day the worst one was just a bit under 118mph. IMHO, mph is a much truer indicator of HP than just 1/4 mile ET.
If I were you I would just do the zip-tie mod first to see how that works, and then take it from there. There are quite a few members here that have had great success with this 2 dollar mod. HTH, and good luck in your quest for more
POWER! :guiness: Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
A great deal of an intake mod's ability to produce is the filter element.

In all actuality, in my personal experience, it's a 7-10 hp mod. Worth it? IMO yes.

Use some common sense and oiling the element won't be a negative factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
People have different opinions on intake systems. Give the Zip-Tie mod a shot. That's the intake set-up on my car right now. You can't beat it for two bucks.

Every car comes with a restricted intake path from the factory - this is done on purpose because it helps the engine run a little quieter. With an intake mod, you will feel better throttle response and a tad quicker pick up when accelerating. Don't forget, a motor is just a fancy air pump. The quicker it can get air in and then back out, the quicker it can perform - well, to a certain degree - but that's just to illustrate the main idea. :)

Your average [aftermarket] intake mod is good for about 8 rwhp.

Like someone said, worth it IMO. :cheers:

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I did the ziptie a year and a half ago and I installed the Vararam VR-2B around three months ago.

I must say the ziptie is not a bad mod to start with, but I think the Vararam is a better intake. (more expensive too)

My car dynoed 370 rwhp with the ziptie (other than that stock)
This weekend I am taking it to dyno it with the VR-2B for the 1st time, car is stock other than that. I'll share the dyno results to see.

After installing the VR I noticed that the RPMs spool faster, I didn't hit the limiter before, now I hit it all the time, 1st and 2nd gear. The RPMs just haul a$$ from 5 grand thru redline. It goes so fast, that I am not used to this new fast timing to shift (yet) and it hits.
I measured a 3rd gear pull with the accelerometer AP-22 and th car showed a 33.6 hp gain from similar pulls with the ziptie. 378.3 before (ziptie), 411.9 now (vararam vr-2b). Same road, almost identical temp conditions. 65 degrees, +/- 5 degrees give it or take it. 2 persons, 1/2 gas tank.

The Vararam intake prevents pressure loss, it doesn't do boost or anything like that. Most other intakes, including the ziptie, are inside the hood, and therefore, they will lose pressure the faster you go. Less pressure = less air to suck in. so, in a nutshell: you loose power the faster you go. There is no dynojet that will show you that the Vararam is better than X or Y or Z intake on the road. Thats why I used an accelerometer to measure the gains, if any.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised, and trust me, in the 4+ years I've owned the AP-22, I've never seen the AP-22 invent 30hp gains on any of the cars I've owned under similar circumstances.

Now, the Vararam is not easy to install, granted, but hey... no pain, no gain. :D

GB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Steelgrave said:
The problem there is people are over-oiling the filters (alot of K&N's ship that way too) and then the oil gets sucked into the rest of the intake, coating it all.
Guilty - did that on my '96 WS6 Formula. :bang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,357 Posts
I can vouch for one mod. I installed a Black Wing and SLP Bellows and gained 14 RWHP. I dyno'd it before and aft in the same hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
GranBichus said:
I did the ziptie a year and a half ago and I installed the Vararam VR-2B around three months ago.

I must say the ziptie is not a bad mod to start with, but I think the Vararam is a better intake. (more expensive too)

My car dynoed 370 rwhp with the ziptie (other than that stock)
This weekend I am taking it to dyno it with the VR-2B for the 1st time, car is stock other than that. I'll share the dyno results to see.

GB.
Looking forward to the results of your dyno. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Okay... no dyno results... It rained the crap out during Saturday so, I am going to wait until another discount day happens. argh... I am not happy... :grrr: :grrr:

GB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Do it right and put a Corvette racing intake on there. www.kinsler.com They are making ls-1 intakes to buy. I have heard rumors of some large gains. Like 50-80 hp on large cube race motors. I wonder if theses individual port manifolds would fit under the hood of a vette. That would be baddass.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top