Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all!

I have scoured this forum for months and still can't get a good handle on which air intake adds the most rwhp. The only conclusion I seem to see is that the vararam is a PITA to install.

Does anyone have any actual comparisons?

Thanks!

Dan in Denver

·
Registered
198 Posts
Whipdan said:
Howdy all!

I have scoured this forum for months and still can't get a good handle on which air intake adds the most rwhp. The only conclusion I seem to see is that the vararam is a PITA to install.

Thanks!

Dan in Denver

i have had the vararam and now i have the bpp vortex rammer. from my own personal experience the vararam is a complete piece of shit. And I can honestly say my car feels faster with the bpp on there. And best of all the bpp is cheaper and much better quality. I would go with the bpp. That is my personal experience with both systems.
John

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've got the vararam and have been more that happy with it. I believe I ordered mine from LAPD, and it came with a K&N filter.

I had no real issues with the install. Yea, it was harder than just popping on an after market air filter, but not that bad.

Quality on mine was OK, no real issues with fit or alignment.

Since this is the only CAI I have used, I can't speak to any of the other makes/models.

Steve

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You won't get much response because the subject has been beat to death - do a search, then come back with any specific questions.

Les

Whipdan said:
Howdy all!

Thanks!

Dan in Denver

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the topic has been beat to death but never see any numbers from anyone. I spoke with AFR on H/C setup and they recommended the Vortex Ram-Air or the WCC Hurricane.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've never seen anything conclusive either. Corvette Fever I think tried to compare a couple units within the last year and couldn't reach any conclusion either, but that's no surprise from CF. I believe FRC Tom posted here that the ECM pulls timing at 99F, so at least getting cooler air is important- especially in a summer like this one (best damned hot summer in a long time). :guiness:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Maybe you didn't go back far enough - I know I personally posted my numbers - including MPH and dyno, many times during the "great intake debates" a year or two back.

I will give you the short version.

Most of the intakes - Vararam, Halltech, Vortex, Blackwing or zip-tie, will net you about 15 RWHP on the dyno, +/- 3.

The Vararam build's measureable positive pressure at the T/B at approx. 70 MPH and creates what some call RAM effect. In my case, same track, same weather etc. I picked up 2 MPH of trap speed with the Vararam over a Halltech T1. I estimated, at the time, that I was picking up a total of between 20-25 RWHP, at speed, with the Vararam.

Optic tested Vararam and the new Halltech trap "side-by-side" and published the results, the Vararam was a winner by a nose. Both deliver colder air, and cold air rules. But then again, so does the Vortex .... see how this is a sunject for much debate??

That said the Vararam is probably the most difficult to install, and should ONLY be run, IMHO, with the K&N filter on the street. Some complained about the "quality" of the Vararam product .. the vast majority of those that have one like it and the power it delivers - and I personally have no issues with the quality of the product. The same could be said though of the TRAP as well as the Vortex (which you can get from BPP, one ot our sponsors).

So, any of these systems will add power, and most of the posts will be a defense of what the individual plunked down $$$ to buy. Personally, trap speed is what counted to me ..

Other results will vary, and other opinions will too ....

Les

Whipdan said:
I know the topic has been beat to death but never see any numbers from anyone. I spoke with AFR on H/C setup and they recommended the Vortex Ram-Air or the WCC Hurricane.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ZO6/Les said:
Maybe you didn't go back far enough - I know I personally posted my numbers - including MPH and dyno, many times during the "great intake debates" a year or two back.

Les
I'll go back and look at your posts on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Also search OPTICZ06 - he and I did a lot of comparisons - track and dyno, and had some fun doing it ;)

Les

ST1100 said:
I'll go back and look at your posts on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Les. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and rely on the real pros I see on this forum for advice and guidance. I have learned more from you guys than you know and it is appreciated!!

Dan in Denver

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Dan,

You are in REAL trouble calling folks here "pro's" :lol:

AKA there is a lot of info here, more opinions than fact - but all advise is, almost without exception, meant to help. The members of this Forum are GREAT! Well, except for ... maybe ......

Les :thumb:

Whipdan said:
Thanks for the info Les. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and rely on the real pros I see on this forum for advice and guidance. I have learned more from you guys than you know and it is appreciated!!

Dan in Denver

·
Registered
267 Posts
The one measure that would show which intake is most efficient/better would be to put an intake on a car, hook up a scanner, take a twenty minute run and measure grams/cyl. Record that with temp, pressure, air and then change to the next intake and scan. I do not know of anyone/magazine/etc. that has done that. The only one I read about was the Veraram and Callaway comparison. However, even that report was on different days and at different temps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dynoed my car today with just a MTI Ram Air Intake on a Dynapack and got 374rwhp at 6050rpm, and 368 rwtq at 4400rpm.I never dynoed the car stock so i don't know how much gain i really had. My car is 2002 tr z06.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up having a long conversation with Jim Hall (Halltech) and decided to order one of his new Stinger SSM units. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Dan in Denver

·
Registered
722 Posts
Cool (ha!) Let us know how you make out, with or without a tune. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts