Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm patiently waiting for Z as well. I was wondering about theft troubles with the car. I currently drive a 2000 BMW 328Ci and I've had the lock cylinder on it pulled out twice and the car broken into. I ended up installing an alarm which piggy-backs the OEM alarm, along with shock sensors, a police siren, and a 6 strobe kit on the car. I figured if the car lit the block up the minute someone started screwing with the handle the scum would be a little less prone to messing with it.

How does the OEM alarm that comes with the Z do? Have folks noticed a lot of attempts with c5's? I know that for example, on E46 BMW's, the lock cylinders can be pulley'd out very easily and cleanly, and once the door is unlocked behind the lock cylinder, the OEM alarm disarms and the door unlocks. :(

Just hoping the c5 is a little less popular with the theft community, compared to say hondas and bmw's. :)

obi2001.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone on this forum mentioning any thefts or break-ins, for that matter, not even vandalism which is probably the biggest pain. I guess part of it may be the neighborhoods that we live and work in. I have mine in a garage at home. At work it is in a pretty good parking lot where my car is in my line of sight from my 6th floor office window. I don't leave it in places that have the theft element wondering the streets. I think most of the folks in this forum have mentioned that they do not use any anti-theft products. Good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think the theft issue depends more on where you park rather than what car you have. Judging by what happened to your BMW I'd say you leave your car overnight on the street in a ghetto or something. I rarely leave my Z06 out of my sight for more than a few minutes unless it's in my garage.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
The snake

How about the Viper alarm..It talks and if anyone gets close to the car it tells them to stand back or it will call the police.

Sanford

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hello and welcome

Hi there,
Well, just remember, Corvette since 97, has a couple of different theft deterrant features that you should be aware of.
First, content theft, which the key fob will lock the doors, and arm the alarm. If someone was to break the glass, and open the door from the inside, the alarm goes off. It also disables the starter.
Also, Passkey 2, which without the proper key, will disable the fuel system, so that even if they pop the ignition cylinder, the fuel system will not function without the correct key.
The radio has a theft feature, that when activated, will not allow the radio to be removed from battery power, or it locks the radio. This is so noone else can use the radio in a different vehicle.
You will enjoy your Z, and congrats, c4c5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amen! :)

There have been times where I've gotten pretty frustrated with vandalism. One time my car got keyed up in a police patroled parking deck which is mostly full of fellow train commuters to NYC.

The two times my car was broken into were at a shopping mall and a movie theater complex, and both were in good clean suburban areas.

I can wait until my Z comes in! Thanks, guys.

obi2001.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Clifford (DEI) G4......Don't leave home without it! :D (or your V1)

·
Registered
568 Posts
What is available in the way of transmitter alarms? Something that notifies you if the shock sensors are going off, etc?

My Z will be garaged.. But at lunch, dinner, etc, I worry..

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I live near Detroit and have had two (2) '87 Buick Grand Nationals stolen from me! :mad:

I do not use the Vet where I know it will be left unattended....I take one of my other cars, plus I always carry a "club" type steering wheel/airbag locking device in the trunk. I use this as more of a visual deterrant than anything else. If a pro wants your car, he will get it....just make it so it is easier for him to pick the "other guy's" car.

Hope this helps!

Zipster :z: :z:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Don't worry about it, if they want it bad enough they will flatbed it.

Keep it well insured and use common sense where you leave it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BrianK-I know there is an alarm out there that if something is wrong with your car someone walking by can "knock" on this thing and it will page you. Not sure on the range on it but it's out there. I think it's called CompuStart. I guess it's got a remote starter aswell. Sorry I couldn't help you out more. Also check out Alpine alarms.

·
Registered
568 Posts
BrianK-I know there is an alarm out there that if something is wrong with your car someone walking by can "knock" on this thing and it will page you. Not sure on the range on it but it's out there.
When I moved cross-country, the movers brought all the junk. I moved the important bits myself - race car, sail boards and tools. The race trailer was very loaded and about 10K lbs.

I was very worried about the entire trailer getting stolen while we overnighted at hotels. Each night I would remove the rotor from the truck.

So while I lost sleep worrying about this, I came up with some pretty good ideas for alarms. But I am unfamiliar with the market, so that's why I asked..

·
Registered
8 Posts
the club

I have had two '87 Buick Regal Turbo T-types stolen - both from parking lots at work (nice professional areas and nice professional thieves) so I am thinking to get the club for my Z06 but was concerned about it flying around in the back. Does anyone have a good method for securing the club while motoring?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts