Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying new Goodyear F1 SC's for the fronts. Rears are in great shape. My primary focus for the new fronts will be for the track. The cost differential between the 265's and the 275 & 285 is trivial.

Will a little extra meat up front make the car want to oversteer more? Any other reasons I wouldn't want to do this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
891 Posts
A larger tire will probably last longer. 275 was the standard tire on the C4's with front 9.5" rims.

F1 wouldn't be my first choice for a tracked car, but life is always some sort of compromise.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should mention that this I still have stock wheels. Replacing the fronts is a stop-gap measure until one of you guys decide to part with a set of 17" wheels at a decent price :).

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I run 285's front, 305's rear, and have zero issues on the street. For the track, the car's power is really what dictates the oversteer, not the front tire size. After much tracking, I feel the bigger the meats the better, as the car is pretty neutral on the track. More rubber therefore should just equal more traction overall.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
MPS 285x30x18 up front and 335x30x18 rear(it's tubed).....no problems street or track.

Will be switching to MPS Cups.....same size on the fronts and 345x30x18 rear. need more traction :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Slightly wider tires on the front will most likely help the turn-in so work up the speed slowly and be prepared for the car to be a bit looser (depending on how your car is set up to begin with). There are tracks where we use 315s up front instead of the 275s to help the front traction, and we do get slightly more oversteer on turn-in.

The other thing to consider (although small) is both the rolling and aero resistance that larger front tires give. Generally speaking, running 315s up front for us feels a bit better, but when you look at the stopwatch, the times are nearly identical and even a bit slower at some tracks. Unfortunately, as I've found out over the past few years, more rubber is not always faster.

If you're interested, I have decided to sell my stock Z06 rims and tires. Both tires and wheels only have about 2K miles on them. I have no idea what they're worth though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wtknght1 said:
If you're interested, I have decided to sell my stock Z06 rims and tires. Both tires and wheels only have about 2K miles on them. I have no idea what they're worth though.
We have seen you drive. With 2K miles on them, I'd be surprised if there was even cord left. :). Actually, I'm waiting for the end of the season when you T1 guys part with your used equipment.

I thought about just getting another set of 2001 stock rims, but the discussion here about their inherent weakness on the track dissuaded me from doing so.

They typically go for $400-$600 + shipping depending on condition - some guys get more. Then add the value of the rubber. You should be in the $1200 vicinity or better.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Keep in mind even though the handling will be better with a wider tire, the wider the tire it will tend to hunt and try to follow every groove in the road. :cheers:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dr.Ron said:
Just make sure the front tire diameter is not larger then the rears. I think the 275's are taller...
Ron
The 275's have a diameter of 25.7 inches vs. 25.3 for the 265's. Rubbing obviously isn't the issue. Would this small 0.4 in difference screw with the Active Handling? Thought that all ran off of accelerometers, gyros, and the like.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've run everything from 275 to 295 to 315s up front and never had an issues with the electronics.

The stock wheels/tires that I have for sale have 2K street miles - only. :p

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps this is just silly, but what the heck.

I understand you can put the stock rears (18") on the front. If that is the case, then why not do so and run 295's up front and perhaps something wider in the back?

I understand that people don't like the stock wheels for track use. Have there actually been failures or is there another reason.

In my case, I have a 2002 (Speedlines). I understand that these are forged and are stronger than the later Spin Cast wheels. If I got hold of another set 2001-2002 wheels, would these be adequate for the track assuming I stay on street tires?

I'm feeling a bit cheap today. I just parted with the cash for a Hans Device. I not looking for a way to test it though :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Keith,
Good idea on the hans device.
I always thought the 2001 Z wheels were forged and the 2002-2004 were cast spun. I could be wrong. I had the wheels on mine polished and there was some concern since they were cast.
The other consideration with wider wheels and tires is added weight.
The car is well balanced. I would keep the stock size tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts