Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a C5 six speed shift knob from Xtreme Motorsports. To those who've removed the stock knob and replaced with an aftermarket knob can you offer any tips and/or pitfalls?

What if the stock knob is stubborn and won't screw off?

What is the best way (or only way) to secure the knob to the shift rod so that the pattern is visually correct? Locknut? Locktite?

I'd hate to screw this up.

TRF

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
TRF... which shift knob did you get?

I got mine from Nate also... brushed aluminum w/ engraved shift pattern. 8)

Goes perfect with my Ripper! :guiness:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's the one.

I am considering putting in a Ripper. Most see it as a big improvement. The stock throw does feel a little long.

I don't street race. Not sure if I need it. Beneficial anyway?

TRF

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Hell yes! ... install the Ripper!

I'm no street racer either... ;)

Do it TRF... you won't regret it. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Shift Knob Brands that Fit Correctly

I see there are alot of shift knobs out there for the C5. Question is -- I take it most or all of these have the same threads as the stock knob. I wouldn't want one that was 'Universal' where you had to use micky mouse lock screws or something to hold it on.

Also, I assume the aftermarket shifters for the C5 all have the same threads as the stock shifter shaft?

I like that shift knob in the referenced 'How To' above. Can anyone else recommend a shift knob similar to that, but maybe all leather covered?

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Shift Knob Brands that Fit Correctly

ZeeOhSix said:
I see there are alot of shift knobs out there for the C5. Question is -- I take it most or all of these have the same threads as the stock knob. I wouldn't want one that was 'Universal' where you had to use micky mouse lock screws or something to hold it on.

Also, I assume the aftermarket shifters for the C5 all have the same threads as the stock shifter shaft?

I like that shift knob in the referenced 'How To' above. Can anyone else recommend a shift knob similar to that, but maybe all leather covered?

:cheers:
Someone can (and will!) correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty dang sure that all the MOMO knobs (which many people here like) are held in place with a set-screw. This is the main reason I would NOT get a MOMO knob, despite many of them looking pretty cool.

As far as the aftermarket shifters' threads go, yes, as long as you're buying one specific to the C5, you'll be getting the same thread pattern as on the stock shifter.

Good luck!

-Kirk

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
KMeloney said:

I'm pretty dang sure that all the MOMO knobs (which many people here like) are held in place with a set-screw. This is the main reason I would NOT get a MOMO knob, despite many of them looking pretty cool.

-Kirk
Good info Kirk. I thought the Momo knobs looked pretty nice too, but the set screw mounting would turn me off on them also.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used two wide flat head screw drivers on either side of the plug to pry it out. There is no risk of damage to the interior doing it this way.

The new knob screws on and you will need to use shims to make it line up straight. Try cutting circles of different materials, aluminum foil, paper, etc. In the long term you will probably want to use blue loctite or stronger.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just be careful and don't whack yourself in the face when the pin holding the stock shifter lets loose!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts