Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my DIC is out (no more "Low Oil" warnings for now...), and knowing that I've got the oil consumption problem, I need to check my dip stick with every fill up. (Last time I did this was with a 25 year old junker I owned in high school... Sigh....). I'm having a hell of a time getting an accurate reading on this dip stick - it seems harder to read than my other cars. Is it me (am I an oil dip stick spaz), or is this harder to read than other cars? Any tips?

The oil seems pretty well smeared over the stick with no discernable line showing the real oil level, neither on the front or back of the stick.

Also, when I take the oil cap off with the engine hot, I can see vapor or smoke of some sort escaping from the engine - is this normal? I've never seen this on my 99 HT.

·
Registered
0 Posts
David,

I usually check my oil in the morning after is has sat all night. I've read that some people are roughing up the dipstick with fine sand paper to view the level.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with Frank,if you check the oil after it has been sitting all night long, there doesnt appear to be a problem. Not only I have I never had trouble reading my dipstick, but it has always indicated that my crankcase is full, and I pull off from almost every light at WOT. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Maybe they changed the dipstick at some point, because reading my stick seems pretty straightforward to me and you aren't the only one who has complained about it being hard to read.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I roughed up the dipstick with sandpaper and a file and it helped a little. I've tried to read it when the oil is warm ( as recommended in the owners manual) and after sitting overnight and got the same crappy results. It's a POS!!!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
The tips above will also take care of the fumes which are normal........ when its driven fairly hard.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all - the oil level is really much easier to read when cold. I'm exactly half way between min and max.

Suggestion for GM: Change the MPG reading on the DIC to reflect miles per gallon of *oil* rather than miles per gallon of gas. I figure I'm getting about 2000 MPG. I'd much rather know how much oil I'm burning than gas.

If someone could help me with one more tip, I'll feel much better. Given that most things expand when heating, and the manual says you're supposed to check the level when warm, I want to make sure I don't have too much oil in there. I know the video says to add an *extra* quart when racing (bringing the total to about 7.5 quarts), so does that mean I have a little extra room for overflow so I shouldn't sweat it?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
C5David,

When my Z06 was breaking in I went through a quart of oil about every 750 miles until I reached 3000 miles. Now it seems to have stopped. I was also worried about putting in too much and I was carrying a spare quart of oil in the boot. As the video did say to put in an extra quart when racing, I figured what the hell, the way I was driving was as if I was racing everywhere. So anytime I was at or below 1/2 quart low I put in a full quart. It didn't seem to hurt and my oil pressure readings and temps stayed within the range they were before I added the extra oil.

·
Registered
266 Posts
all,

I don't know if it's in the manual or the video, but GM said leaving the car sit all night would give false readings. All oil would drain back to sump. They recommend letting car sit for " a few minutes " then check it. If I can find out where the info is I will post it.

Page 6-12 of Owners Manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts