Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. Also is there any way to decrease the risk of getting an oil burner via special break in procedure or someting or is it just luck of the draw?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
No, there is really no VIN breakpoints for this issue.
Some do the oil thing, others dont.
Most of it is driving style.
I would request dealership records of the vehicles service history, before making a purchase.
Bestoyou, c4c5:eek2:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If the engine is stock there is a way to tell. Although not completely foolproof, it is an indicator. If the oil consumption is the result of oil being burned...Your long term fuel trims (LTFT's) will indicate a rich condition. For example an LTFT of -15 (negative numbers indicate a rich mixture) means that the PCM is reducing fuel by 15% to eliminate the rich condition. This method only works if you are absolutely sure there is nothing else malfunctioning that could cause the engine to run rich. Burning oil would fool the PCM into thinking there is a rich mixture. Of course, blue smoke is a dead giveaway.

If you're looking at buying an 01 that was used and already broken in, this method would work provided you could get the seller to get it scanned for you. If you're buying a new 01 (are there any left?) this method would probably not work at all since all new engines burn a little oil until the rings are fully seated.

Most importantly, the oil consumption issue was blown way out of proportion. I believe the number of oil burners was around 5%. probably not bad at all. Before the advent of "forums", the general public would never hear about "John Doe's" oil burner. I would guess that every car model made has a small percentage that have excessive oil consumption.

I bought a used 01 and have monitored the oil consumption carefully. It doesn't burn a drop. As far as break-in goes, I'm an "old-schooler" that doesn't believe in breaking in an engine on synthetic oil. Many disagree with this but the bad factory oil control ring theory just doesn't explain why 95% of 01's don't burn oil at all. I'd extend the break-in to 1000 or maybe even 1500 miles if using synthetic.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Cruz, since your car is a NEW MY '01, here is how I broke mine in,,,,,,

I am also from the old school........I think a motor should be driven from the get go, through all gear ranges at LEAST up to 3500-4000 rpm's, on NUMEROUS occasions......

This does not include spinning tires, or snapping shifts.........you need to allow at least 200 miles for you're tires, & brakes to settle in.....
No high speeds, and NO hard stops.....

Vary the MPH, and try to stay under 80-90 MPH, I also did this in the upper gears 5th & 6th..........
The drive train is what needs to be broken in evenly, not shocked.......

The engine will seat rings faster doing it in this manner...........
I have no significant oil usage, I drive it hard, fast, and often......
Oil usage is approx 1qt per 2K miles, + or -...............and if I drove it NOW like a daily driver, it would probably use nada......

This is considered NORMAL by GM standards, and the way these cars are driven they will use SOME oil, which is a good thing.......
To see the results of my break in procedure, check my sig.......
The car put's down NEAR '02 #'s..........
So, either I did something right, or the luck of the draw was with me..........I do not think it's the latter.............

You can do more harm than good babying a car like these, by being TOO easy on the break in.........

Just remember the first 200-250 miles on the tires, & brakes, 500, for the driveline break in.........after that......go fer it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an '01 oil burner that's scheduled for the ring/piston fix. I was very careful with the breakin procedure and really babied the car...to no avail. I've currently got 17k on the odometer and it's consuming about a quart every 230 miles.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Your car should still have a warranty coverage on the drivetrain. I'd take the car to the local chevy dealership and have them get involved so you have something on record. Let them find out what the problem is. You never know you may get a new motor without ever breaking a knuckle.

Good luck.:guiness:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Prescott63:

a qt every 230 miles is definitely a burner. There are always a few of those out there. I broke my car in hard, but varied the RPMs. It burned a little oil when new then has tapered off (car has 4250 miles on it now). It uses very little if any oil now. I too, think the 01 oil issue has been a bit oversold.
However, my 97 LS1 Coupe used nary a drop. The rings are certainly a factor, but I doubt it is a big deal will most 01s.

·
Registered
576 Posts
At 10k, I am burning a qt per 700 miles after quite a long time at a qt per 1000. I am currently half way thru the GM Oil
Consumption Test. I too am probably guilty of babying the car for the first 500 by not exceeding 3000 rpm. :mad: I think the oil burners are more than 5%. Many just don't want to admit it or are not involved in the forums.

GOLD72

1 - 8 of 8 Posts