Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order a 2002 EB Z06 and I am trying to decide if I want to do the museum delivery option. I think it would be a wonderful experience, but I am concerned about the drive back from the museum to San Francisco.

It looks like I will be driving from the museum to San Francisco in early to mid November. After I have had the car in SF for a few days, I will be taking it up to Oregon to spend a few months in storage while I wait to move into a new home with a nice garage. I am not concerned about the drive from SF to Oregon, but I am concerned about hitting snow or ice on the drive back to San Francisco from Bowling Green.

What route have people taken when driving back to Northern California from Bowling Green and how long has it taken? My dad is going to tag along, so we will be able to switch drivers; if he can get me to give up the keys. If you have taken delivery in November/December, what was the weather like?

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey there Wanna Z. I am from Vacaville and Chico. My girlfriend and I are flying out to Bowling Green (flying from Sac into Nashville and taking a seden delivery through Bowling Green Yellow Cab) to the Country Hearth hotel which is supposed to be walking distance to the NCM. We are leaving Tuesday the 18th and taking delivery around noon on Wednesday the 19th of this month. I'm so freaking excited I can't sleep.

Anyway, we are going to take I-65 through St Louis over to I-70 I believe and from there over to the cutoff to Colorado Springs. We are visiting Pikes Peak and the Air Force Academy on the way home. Otherwise you could go straight into Denver and then north to Wyoming and take I-80 all the way home.

I have friends that have lived in Colorado for the past 15 years and she warned me that even now they can get a snow storm that will drop a few inches on the ground, but it will be gone the next day. So if that happens I'm just going to hole up in a hotel till it is safe to drive home.

I figure it will be about 2500 miles home and I'm stopping twice for oil changes. Once at 500 miles and the next at 1500 miles and then change it when I get home. I'm taking the Gold Filter and a magnetic oil plug with me to have installed.

The NCM delivery costs add up though. I'm not sorry I decided to do it. The huge mileage right away is making me cringe though. RC8 costs $490, airfare for two is $370, $100 for sedan delivery or rental car, $100 for hotel in Bowling Green. Then figure about $175 for gas, $200 more for hotels on the road home, and $100 in food. Not too bad, but it adds up fast... just like everything else.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get back next Saterday!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm from Concord and took delivery 8/31/01 at the NCM.
You just need to watch the weather reports and play it safe when
planing you route home. This was my second Corvette that was delivered at the NCM and driven back to NorCal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ZO SIC,

My first NCM delivery cost me over $3,500 extra, and was money well spent.
You are going to get NCM Delivery jackets and shirts, right? :) Things add up in a hurry, tip for delivery person, Bra to protect the the front end, maybe a nice dinner the first day you have the car, and other Corvette gear and clothes you find at the NCM gift shop. :) On the way home you'll be looking for motels with "Corvette Parking".
I'm sad to say that the Assembly plant gift shop has been closed,
so you'll miss the chance 100% American made Corvette gear with the plant logo on it.
Also be careful if you'll be driving at night, I saw a lot of dead deer (30 to 50) on my trip home last week.
Don't worry about the mileage, just get in it and drive it and you'll be smiling all the way home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm from Contra Costa County and I wouldn't do it. I would be concerned about the need to vary speeds and RPMs for the first 1000 miles for break-in purposes. With all that highway driving you're cruising at somewhat of a constant speed without a lot of first to sixth (and sixth to first) shifts.

I don't know how critical this is, but, I'd play it safe.

TRF

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm only a few months away from ordering and will definitely do the NCM delivery. IF the car is ready during the cold winter months... it'll be transported via http://intercitylines.com/ at a cost of around $1,500.00. If the weather is more "Spring" like... I'll drive that bad boy home.

Do whatever makes you comfortable. :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
wanna_z said:
I am about to order a 2002 EB Z06 and I am trying to decide if I want to do the museum delivery option. I think it would be a wonderful experience, but I am concerned about the drive back from the museum to San Francisco.

It looks like I will be driving from the museum to San Francisco in early to mid November. After I have had the car in SF for a few days, I will be taking it up to Oregon to spend a few months in storage while I wait to move into a new home with a nice garage. I am not concerned about the drive from SF to Oregon, but I am concerned about hitting snow or ice on the drive back to San Francisco from Bowling Green.

What route have people taken when driving back to Northern California from Bowling Green and how long has it taken? My dad is going to tag along, so we will be able to switch drivers; if he can get me to give up the keys. If you have taken delivery in November/December, what was the weather like?

Thanks for the info
The route home on I-80 is about 2400 miles, so 3 days with two drivers. There are some weather(snow)risks in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado if you take either of the northern routes in November and December. If the weather looks bad at the time of delivery, just take the southern route.
jerboa :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
$3500 for museum delivery??? DAYAM!!!

Tip the delivery person? I never even thought about that. What do you folks usually tip? How many of you tip?

As for buying shirts, jackets, etc. I'm lucky/unlucky that I'm a big guy. I don't fit in most NORMAL stuff. If they let me try it on and it fits, and I like the look, then I'll buy. And I'd buy for my girlfriend, but she says it isn't neccessary. I did buy some Born In America Corvette T-shirts just for the delivery for us to wear though :)

As for a nice dinner. Nah, we're simple enough that IHOP or Marie Calenders or <gasp> Cracker Barrel, if they have them are good enough. Plenty of time to use the car for nice outings once we get home. We are on a somewhat tight schedule since she might have to work the following Sunday. So we have the afternoon/evening of Wed, allday Thurs, all day Fri, and all day Sat. I've driven from Sacramento to Denver... Took 3 days to get there in a '95 Z-28 A4 in the snow (first time in the snow, no chains, decent rearwheel horsepower with wide tires... yeah, that was fun.) It took us ONE day to get home. I can drive forever... young mind, body, and eyes help I guess :) Not to mention the adrenaline I'll have flowing through me for the months to follow!!!

I'm not worried about driving freeway miles. With a 6-spd you can vary rpms very easily. Driving at 80mph in 6th gear should be about 2,000 rpm, drop down to 75mph in 5th gear and you will probably have about 2,800 rpm. Drop down to 55-60mph in 4th and you've got 3,200 rpm. And all the varying speed and gears that go with the 6-spd. I wont use the cruise control at all. I've broken in engines with highway miles before and they lasted fine. Engines aren't THAT touchy/wimpy anyway.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and advice though.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I did the NCM thing late september of last year 9/21/00. I decided on a southern routing (mostly to see my dad in TX).

Ended up going through Odessa, then up to Albuquerque to drop my gf off at school. Then caught 40 all the way to barstow then up north.

I'd definitely do it again.

On the break in question... Well, I did it, and my car doesn't use oil. Go figure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ZO SIC

Tip? $0.00 to $100.00, (its a very personal thing and they will not hold there hand out for one) buyer's form the Northeast seem to tip more often then West coast buyers. I was part of a 11 car group delivery the first time and didn't tip anything. The staff was very busy and over worked and when I asked how something worked I was told to read the manual. I went back a year ago June and was given the cooks tour to make up for it. So when I did this years delivery I gave two very nice tips. IMHO

$3500? First nights Dinner (with some very nice wines) was big $$$ at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville. We spent a few days spending time and money since we were only going to do it once. :)

Clothes? Will XXXL tall work for you?
Check out this link to see the shirts we had made for our delivery.
http://www.chazcone.com/corvette/barbour/
Yes I know its a bit over the top but we had fun with them.

For a nice dinner try Hops good food and beer.

I think the 500 miles is more about breaking in the whole car and driver then just breaking in the engine. Everything just needs a little time to get seated in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts