Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice, and comments on how to use them, convenience factor (if any), etc.

I'm thinking of trying to fit three cars in a two car garage without a lift. Figured garage dollies was an answer.

Vince

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought wheel dollies would help move the two outboard cars closer to the garage wall. That way I don't have to try and drive the cars close to the wall. Plus, getting out of the driver's side on the far left car would be a bear, as it's driver's door is up against the wall. I figured I'd drive a car into the middle of the garage, put it on wheel dollies, and push it up against the wall. Only the two outboard cars would be on dollies. Of course, like you mentioned, the car in the middle has to come out whenever I want one of the two outboard cars removed.

Vince

·
Registered
561 Posts
It can't be all that difficult to get close to the wall without hitting it. It just seems to me that using a dollie would be an awful lot of trouble. Tie a string to each side of the wall about 8 inches away and if you hit the string, don't pull over and further. As far as getting in and out, pull one in forward(right) and back one in (left).

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use wheel dollies for both the Z and the Camaro. Makes for easy storage in the winter. No wasted space. The cars are easily moved into any position you need. Check my site for some pics of the cars on them.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, nice site /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif What type of dollies were you using on our MY Z? How do you get the car on and off them? It looked like they had a tall cradle (lip) to make sure the wheels don't fall off. Do you jack the car up a side at a time?

Vince

·
Registered
528 Posts
Vince,
The Z is easy on and off Takes about 10 minutes. I jack it up a side at a time. I also line the rollers with carpet to cushion the tires. They are Car Mates. I have company name and numbers at home. I'll post them when I get home from work. I think the rollers for the Z where about $225 for four and that included shipping. These are very sturdy and very well made.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's the specific's on my rollers.

Made by NMW Products in NJ.
They come in 4 sizes 12, 16, and 20 inches wide.
A set of four pricing starts at $180.
They have 3500 to 7500 lb capacities

NMW Products
Orlando Dr.
Raritan NJ, 08869
908-526-3800

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Mark /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vince

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have some dollies called GO-Jacks, they are self jacking and only take about 1-2 minutes to jack up and move the car! Little pricey ($750), but VERY convenient. You just place them around each tire, use the foot pedal to jack the car, then push to where you want it. If you would like some pics, let me know. [email protected]

·
Registered
528 Posts
TOM_E,
I've seen those and thought they were pretty slick. I did not get them because I did not know how they would effect the tires if stored on them for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You wouldn't have to store on the dollies, in 45 secs you can let the car down on the floor, just leaving the dollies in position for raising to move. I would actually think that you would have more "contact" patch on the dollies than the tires on the floor. The rollers used on the GOJack are nice and large. BTW you will need the larger of the two styles. Our tires are too big for the standard units.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts