Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Anyone drive their Z06 year-round?

4K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  JBsZ06 
#1 ·
Reason I ask is one might get caught out in cold and/or bad weather during a trip.

Are there any tires, all-season or winter, to fit the Z06?

#11 ·
I drive year round (for three years now) and I have gotten caught in dangerous winter weather

[/IMG]

trust me you don't want to be there. The wide tires that we have do not work for S*** in snow and all tires suck on ice. So you want to have a backup vehicle for the bad days that you don't want to risk your Z but still must venture to work.
Otherwise have at it . If you put a buttom sucker cold air intake system be careful when water backs up on the roads since our cars are not that far of the ground to begin with.

Don't go there

#14 ·
I've put snow tires on my Supra TT in the winter and its fine. The Supercar F1s are not something I'd try in the snow (pick above).

However, even with snow tires, low ground clearence can be a problem. I've had some problem when the snow is falling. However that is only a few days a year (in NJ) and on those days, if we know in advance, we take the Suburban (err...Yukon XL 2500 4WD with snow tires).

#16 ·
There has to be snow in the air or already on the ground to halt Z flight operations. Then I break out the trusty Dodge Ram. But then, anyone who knows Denver can attest that there may be 4 or more inches on the ground in the morning and by afternoon your driving the Z on clear, albeit wet, streets.

#17 ·
I don't store my car during the winter. If the roads are clear
I will take it out for a drive, hell, I even ride my Harley's on nice clear winter days. I don't think I could stand not driving
the Z for months on end! :bmad:

Jim

#19 ·
Whitesnake said:
But being in Colorado, aren't your tires on the hard side in 30ish or below temps?
Actually, my Nitto's are pretty soft, and if you drive hard enough, they eventually get warmed up. :yeadog:

Jim

#20 ·
I drive my cars year round in Massachusetts. I do not take it out in the snow but have got caught in it. Then I just take it easy and always have made it home without a problem. I certainly drive it in the rain without problems.
My basice feeling is that the fun is in the driving and I look for every opportunity to drive them :zboobie: year round. The 98 'TR conv has 100,000 miles, the '02 EB Z has 40,000 miles and I have three other cars in the family so to rack up those miles, you know I have to really be intent on driving the Vettes and I am never disappointed. They are great cars!

#21 ·
01' Drive it like I stole it, every day, plus track sessions on the weekend. 59,000 miles. Over 25 full day road racing sessions. 1st three years, every day 100 plus mph both ways to and from work, plus road and autocross runs on the weekend.. After four years, I can still say with a big grin, I love my car!

#22 ·
I drive it when I am in the mood....Today i took it to a spray wash and used just the rinse and spot free rinse an dthen, one hour later it rained. Ugh.....Dont think I would attemt snoe as my 1996 was stuck good in only 5 inches. But that's why we got them.....To drive them! I love driving it mor ethan my Yukon, bt in inclement weather, Yukon would be better way to go.....

#23 ·
RC45 said:
In Houston we have weather, not seasons.. :p so it's year round fun for me :)
Yep...I drive her all year long. Rain or shine...my Z doesn't care if it gets wet or dirty. :D

As for tires...I use Toyo T1-S tires and love them.

#24 ·
I live in central Pa and drive all year round. No problem just stuff it in the trailer and head off to a race trace that's advertising warm weather.

tony #54

#25 ·
I have 5 other vehicles I can drive in the rain (ok I wont drive 2 of those either in the rain), but why drive the Z in the rain and let some smuck hit it or just get it dirty as heck. In my case it would be stupid to get the car all dirty when I have others I can trash in the wet.

When I do drive the Z though I drive it very very hard in town.

#26 ·
My '98 coupe was my only car for the first several years, so it was driven in all conditions. The stock runflats were actually decent in snow. When I switched to Z rims, I got Michelin Pilot Sports. They're absolutely useless in snow. If there is a slight dusting on the ground I can't get out of a parking spot.

If you know you're going to be driving on snow, you might think about picking up a set of 97-99 wheels (they go for around $250 used). Goodyear makes mud and snow tires in the correct size and I've heard they work great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.