Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my Z all winter without issue, until a few weeks ago. After driving on a few road covered in sand, which is unavoidable during the winter in NY, I noticed sand was getting caught in the side window felt causing scratches on the outside of both side windows whenever they are opened or closed. As soon as I hear the scratching I try to clean out the windows, but it really doesn't seem to help. The sand seems to find its way back on the next sand covered road.:bmad:

I can't stand the sight of the scratches on the window. It seems to me that this is a design flaw. Does anyone know if I could get the side windows replaced under warranty? I know it's a long shot, but I figured I would ask. Otherwise I'm looking at $2-300 per window for replacements.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Both my side windows are scratched to hell. And my windshield is sandblasted like you wouldn't believe....doing 150 the length of Ocean parkway will do that.

Luckilly I'll be getting rid of the car tomorrow. :p

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I can do the next best thing and stop by with it and let you check it out if you haven't yet. I haven't even heard one in person myself. :lol:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I would turn it over to your insurance as it should be covered under collision. I had my drivers side window replaced at 500 miles due to a small particle getting into the window channel and causing a deep scratch when I put the window down. Make sure they order GM OEM glass; some try to get away with a generic brand to save money. Good luck. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes, I have a DEEP guoge in my driver's side window. A goose crapped on my window in a parking lot, and I had to roll the window down to pay to get out. It evidently had a good sized piece of gravel in it. It sounded like someone was taking a glass cutter to my window.:puke:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Normally, I recommend using compressed air to blow out the felt.
I do that at every oil change on my customers vehicle. This is because in the NE, its just sand everywhere.
Normally, if this simple guideline is met, you will not have a problem.
Plastic knife in between the outer sealing strip and the window, and you can see the felt guides.
Allthebest, c4c5:jawdrop:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I doubt you'll get warranty or insurance for side window glass scratches. If they don't impair vision and aren't outright cracked, they're just suffering from normal wear and tear and that's not a refundable problem.

You could probably run some polishing rouge over the scratch and clean it up a bit. Wouldn't erase it, but it would take some of the "sparkle" off the scarred edges and make it a little less obvious.

My driver's window glass is also scratched. I just live with it (though I do get annoyed looking at it, especially in bright sunlight).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Javelin said:
Yes, I have a DEEP guoge in my driver's side window. A goose crapped on my window in a parking lot, and I had to roll the window down to pay to get out. It evidently had a good sized piece of gravel in it. It sounded like someone was taking a glass cutter to my window.:puke:
Get the shotgun out, its time to drop some birds! :rofl:

All joking aside...

That sucks its happening to your cars! I've seen what you're all talking about, and its not cool! It stands out like a sore thumb with darker window tint too!

Hopefully cleaning the felt in the window track will cure this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts