Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious....giving serious consideration to purchasing a 99-00 FRC and doing the LS2/402 swap. Wanted to get some input as to how difficult an engine swap is and whats the best way to do it......through the top, or drop it from the bottom??
Thanks

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
An engine swap is definitely not a Sunday afternoon project.

I've had mine out several times now. Last time we did it 18 hours end to end which is just about book time.

Out the bottom with a lift is the way Chevy's shop manual recommends and would be way easier. But, we didn't have one and have done it out the top each time. To take it out the top you need some good tall jack stands and three jacks as well as an engine lift.

Short story for taking out the bottom is (This from memory so please don't use this as a guide):
- Remove radiator and all the other interference in front of the motor
- Disconnect all the stuff on top of the motor
- Remove the center section of exhaust and tunnel plate then disconnect every thing on the bottom of the motor including clutch shield
- Split the lower front a-arms from the spindle (support spindle from the top with wire)
- Unbolt and lower front subassembly with a jack
- Support tranny with another jack
- Pull engine and subassembly forward to get clutch off drive shaft.
- Support rear of engine on third jack and continue to work it forward
- Support engine on engine hoist with chains from the top.
- Unbolt engine from subassembly
- Lower subassembly wit the two jacks and lift engine with hoist.

Assembly is essentially the reverse.

The first time we did this, and my brother-in-law is a very accomplished mechanic, it took about a day out and another day in.

I assume with the swap you are looking at you'll need a new PCM and harness as well won't you?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, from the research Ive done, I wont need a new harness, just an extension for the cam sensor and the use of the LS2 knock sensors. The stock LS1 PCM will run the LS2 but will obviously have to be tuned on a dyno. If I go through with this project, I have no intention of getting it done in a short period of time. The goal was actually for me and my roomate to have it done in time to take on Power Tour 2006 (depending on both of our deployment schedules next summer). What Im really trying to figue out, is, is this project doable in a garage with jack stands and an engine hoist. Obviously it will be slow going, but if it can be done by two releively competant guys (we both have extensive experience with 5.0 Mustang motor removal/building/intalling), then Im game to try. Anybody who has any other experience or info, it would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just took my 427 out of 01 zo6 last weekend. started at 8:00 a.m. and had the engine in the crate to go to MTI @ 5:00 p.m. This is the 4th time we have had one apart figure a min of 1/2 again that with a lift and good tools if you have not done before. out the bottom is the only way we have ever taken one out. Good luck.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
You can give Greg @ ANTIVENOM a call: 813-661-9000

He is in Seffner, Florida

·
Registered
353 Posts
ive had to pull engines out the top cause im not as privelaged as some to havea whole car lift. the part i hate the most is when you have to put it back in from the top.(this is not in a vette) i have done it this way with my dad on 2 jeeps my truck and my moms suburban.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts