Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports that will go on next week. The set on the car still has life (and is only a year old) but not enough for my purposes.

We tend to toss old tires but I'm wondering if it's worth trying to sell used tires. I also have a set of Pirelli PZeroCorsa, barely used (just one track weekend - on a different car) that I might try to sell.

I searched the forum but didn't find any info. I looked at ebay and saw plenty of used tires for sale but it appears most are by "professional businesses" and not individual private sellers.

Just curious - never sold tires before...
Any advice is appreciated.

Carol

Note to mods - this isn't a "test the waters"...this is a request for info or comments from those with experience on whether it's worth the trouble to sell used tires. If I decide to list I will make it a proper FS post with price, description, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
People that buy used tires are generally looking for tires to run on the track. Put the mileage, tread depth and tire production date (on sidewall) in the For Sale section. Tires over 5 years old are generally not good for track use.
I think most tire sales are a somewhat local deal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Put them on Craigslist. You can sell ANYTHING on there. Yes, you will have to deal with some deadbeat callers/emailers who won't show. However you can turn garbage in cash on Craigslist.

Ryan J

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I have sold a few sets of used tires on the forums, mostly drag radials. There is always someone looking for used tires, especially track tires. Don't be afraid of shipping them to someone out of your area. Fedex ground is pretty reasonable and all you have to do is put a label on them, they do not need to be boxed up. Hope this helps.

Jimbo

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

I'm a bit leery of Craigslist only because of the potential crime, and being female I've no interest in having someone come to my house, or meeting someone in a parking (although my sister said she meets someone in the grocery parking lot and only take cash if it's an item that is too large to ship).

But nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll give it a try (probably forums and ebay first).

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

I'm a bit leery of Craigslist only because of the potential crime, and being female I've no interest in having someone come to my house, or meeting someone in a parking (although my sister said she meets someone in the grocery parking lot and only take cash if it's an item that is too large to ship).

But nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll give it a try (probably forums and ebay first).
Well "Howz Yuz Doin"? :lol:

Sorry, I did that for the benefit of the smart alecs here that know me well. :yeadog:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well "Howz Yuz Doin"? :lol:

Sorry, I did that for the benefit of the smart alecs here that know me well. :yeadog:
If you said, "How YINS Doin?" it would be very "Pittsburgh" of you :D

Thanks for asking - doing great. The Z06 came out of winter storage Wednesday and today I had new rotors & pads installed all around, fluids flushed, inspection - so it's ready to roll.

The new tires go on next week, and then it'll be ready for the track! Can't wait for this season. My second season with this car (and first time for the same car two seasons in a row) so I am excited to get going!

The cool thing is that I've been teaching winter driving all winter at the track, and much of what we do is actually on the track (and some on the skid pad) - so I've had countless laps around the track in the off season. While the laps are not "at speed" - just the familiarity with the landscape will be helpful. It almost feels like I haven't been away from driving at all (even though what we teach isn't high speed (no more than 70 usually) and we use Crown Victoria Police Interceptors - MUCH different than a Z06 but fun in their own way (especially since it's not MINE)

Cheers!
Carol

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I thought Norm was shooting more for Jersey than Western Pa on that one :)

I recently shipped a set of Z06 size tires to someone. It was $150 through UPS ground.

·
Registered
632 Posts
[QUOTEThe cool thing is that I've been teaching winter driving all winter at the track, and much of what we do is actually on the track (and some on the skid pad) - so I've had countless laps around the track in the off season. While the laps are not "at speed" - just the familiarity with the landscape will be helpful. It almost feels like I haven't been away from driving at all (even though what we teach isn't high speed (no more than 70 usually) and we use Crown Victoria Police Interceptors - MUCH different than a Z06 but fun in their own way (especially since it's not MINE)

Carol- are you accepting resumes at your work? Your job seems way cooler than mine! Crown Vics or not, being at the track is being at the track!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
People that buy used tires are generally looking for tires to run on the track. Put the mileage, tread depth and tire production date (on sidewall) in the For Sale section. Tires over 5 years old are generally not good for track use.
I think most tire sales are a somewhat local deal.
This!

Some of the ones I have sold, if they are really worn or old, some people buy them as rollers on long term projects and/or dock bumpers. So many uses for old used tires. I have even seen some used in gardens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts