Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for my new car and found that my insurance will be substantially less if I have lojack installed. Do any of you have good or bad experiences with lojack?

I know it's not activated until you report the car stolen.

With today's technology, are the crooks getting smarter and beating these type tracking devices?

·
Registered
30 Posts
lojack has a competitor

I just investigated installing the "BOOMERANG" in my Z....it improves on the lojack in that if you get the boomerang 2, with a alarm fob, when the car is moved in any fashion, without the owner disarming the system, it immediately dials up the monitoring station, they call you, you get a police report #, but they are monitoring the movement constantly, and will assist in retrieval once police report is filed.
However I did not install it, as I am leery of anyone monkeying with my Z.
But will probably do it ultimately.

go to www.boomerangtracking.com

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Don't have lo-jack and don't think I'll get one either..Don't like the fact of someone hideing the transmitter...God knows where they will put it

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I was thinking of getting LoJack, but my service advisor said all the vettes they had seen with it installed drained the batteries. So I made the decision not to get it.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I had it put in, and have had no problems for the last 8 months with the battery.

The 35% comprehensive insurance savings totaled $140 per year, very quickly help to pay off the installation. I had just the retrieve put in, not the entire alarm system.

The BOOMERANG system mentioned above sounds very interesting, how expensive is it...

Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
lojack

The Boomerang is 500$ Canadian, 325 US plus about 12 bucks a month to monitor...I think they are setting up an American distributor.....check out the web site mentioned in the string above

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Boomerang website is currently Canadian only.

I've had many Lojacks in many cars over the years without any auto battery problems. It's a good idea to replace the battery in the unit every 2 years.

I found the hidden location of mine, but It wouldn't be a good idea to tell where it's hidden:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have had lojack in the past diden't put it in the Z06. You do get the 35% but you get 20% for just the alarm and pass key already in the car. I did go for the onstar in the truck you get the 35% plus much more(directionaly impared+). To bad will have to wait for the C6 to get it in the vette. Ric

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have Boomerang installed on my Z. In some parts of our country, insurers pass on a sizable discount for the device.

Boomerang 'tested' it for me when I was on mid-way on our trip to Galveston, Texas (4,300 miles) on the NCRS Road Tour this summer....it works.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
major Problem with

LOJACK...............

Great unit...........except, if YOU do not report the item/car stolen, in a expedient time, you are SOL............

The units are picked up by police units with recievers in them.
Only a handful usually have the recievers.......AND they are good only for a range of 5 miles from the police unit.

Now for the kicker.................

All the above is a/ok..........IF, like I said you FIND your item missing QUICKLY.

IF, your car/item, has been taken, and you DO NOT find out for a few hours.......and IF you live not in a major metro area.....the signals are LOST.

Example, if you live in Dallas...............

I steal your Z, I head for east Texas, west Texas, ANYWHERE OFF a major highway, away from a major metropolitan area.......chances of being caught/found........are SLIM to NONE.

In Texas.......counting the TDPS, there are only 44,000 public safety officers with equipment in their sqad cars able to pick up this signal......and they MUST be within 5 miles of same to do so...........
Popular conception is, the unit's signal's are satellite tracked..............not so.............:roll:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I agree that Lojack has some serious limitations, but I live in the car theft capital and I just verified my insurance savings makes it a no-brainer.:cheers: Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts