Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2002 Quicksilver Z06 the other day and was wondering if any members have had problems with orange peel on that color. Thanks ! :grin:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Quicksilver Boy said:
I just ordered a 2002 Quicksilver Z06 the other day and was wondering if any members have had problems with orange peel on that color. Thanks ! :grin:
Every Quicksilver I have seen has been clean.
I think you are safe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Whew!!! Don't need none of dem orange peels...

:eek:

·
Registered
631 Posts
You may see some flaws under fluorescent light on the hood - those are your cross members underneath the hood. These lines were on both of my Quicksilver 01's - however they are very, very subtle. Reasons given last year was the curing process for the boding agent betwen the synthetic materials.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Sorry to offend QS owners, but the 3 that I have seen DO have peel.....It's just VERY hard to see.....just like the dirt......

It's not the colors, its the application and the vertical surfaces, color has nothing to do with it......

There's too much light in the daytime, get a shop light at night and try different angles of viewing, you'll see it....Its a Vette... :)

JC

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeh -I got the peel on my 01. especially on the trunk and as the Zapper says flourescent light really shows it, but in the sunlight it looks good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know where you guys are gettin your vettes, but I have never seen a new one with out orange peel regardless of color. I don't think your looking close enough. Its the nature of the paint these days. Go look at any new BMW and its as bad or worse.

My new EB has it, my white 2001 had it. the 2002 QS at the dealer has it.

Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Orange Peel

Ok I'm confused... I see the problem in the photos some of you guys showed but beyond what it looks like what is it? Why does it happen? If it's "the nature of paint today" then why could you go and get an aftermarket paintjob and eliminate this problem? I'm really nervous that I am about to pay a lot of money for a car and will get something less than perfect and even observable by the layman.

Jay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just go down to your dealer and look at some vettes (especially in the showroom. Its not terrible, its just there and noticable up-close and at specific angles . Now I do not know the chemistry of why this is, but I heard that it has to do with environmental laws that require ecologically friendly bases instead of solvents that allow for better flow (I do not know if this is true).

My wife's BMW X5 has it just as bad and so did every other car in the BMW showroom.

Bob

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
JK, it's there and there's nothing you can do about it, but 99% of people (non vette owners) will never know the difference....

Enjoy the car for what it was built for, a huge smile factor.

JC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts