Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hello Ron,

Here's a picture of my Michelin Pilot Sports 315/30/18 after I had them installed.

The picture is at an angle a bit, so it's difficult to see, but they don't really stick out. I'd say they're pretty flush with the rear panel.

A few months ago, I saw somebody with 345's, and they were sticking out. I thought it looked pretty cool, but I figured it might become an issue for the paint!!!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jofu said:
Hello Ron,

Here's a picture of my Michelin Pilot Sports 315/30/18 after I had them installed.

The picture is at an angle a bit, so it's difficult to see, but they don't really stick out. I'd say they're pretty flush with the rear panel.

A few months ago, I saw somebody with 345's, and they were sticking out. I thought it looked pretty cool, but I figured it might become an issue for the paint!!!

Geoff
What size fronts did you go with? How are the PS's vs the GYF1's in handling/cornering & straight ahead traction?
Thanks!
Ron

·
Registered
996 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
What size fronts did you go with? How are the PS's vs the GYF1's in handling/cornering & straight ahead traction?
Thanks!
Ron
I went with the 275/40/17, which was (if I remember well) the tire combination that kept me as close as possible to the original GYSCF1 ratio (diameter ratio between front and back, I mean).

To tell you the truth, I wasn't pushing the car that hard for the time I had the F1's on, so I couldn't give you a fair comparison like others might...

The only difference I noticed -and that's the whole reason why I switched in the first place- is in the rain. The MPS clear much much more water than the F1's do, and are way more confidence inspiring in that environment.

Mind you, my car's a daily driver, so rain was a big factor for me, but if your car's only a weekend never-in-the-rain car, then the pluses for MPS might not be worth the extra cost.

Recently, since my rear tires are wearing down, I've been thinking of going with Nitto555R2's, which aparently hook like mofos :) But it would mean to go back to F1-level rain drivability :(

Hope this helps at all...

Geoff

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jofu,

Where in the bay area are you? I am over in San Mateo. Also, any more pics of the rear of your car from a farther distance?

Thanks. -Don

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hey Don,

I live in Fremont (east bay), but work in Foster City.

I don't have farther-distance pics, but I can take some. I'll try to do that today and post them later!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Are those the stock rims? they look like they can handle a tire that size pretty well.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
They look cool.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Here we go, a picture from far (but zoomed :D):

For those that wondered, yes my rims are OEM, down to the finish! And the tires fit quite well in my opinion, though I was told by some they didn't like the sudden buldge from right after the rim. i.e., the buldge isn't progressive from rim to end of wall, but rather buldges out right at the rim. In a sense, it's good like that since it protects the rim better against curb (ask me how I know!!!).

Geoff

·
Registered
638 Posts
Jofu said:

For those that wondered, yes my rims are OEM, down to the finish! And the tires fit quite well in my opinion, though I was told by some they didn't like the sudden buldge from right after the rim. i.e., the buldge isn't progressive from rim to end of wall, but rather buldges out right at the rim. In a sense, it's good like that since it protects the rim better against curb (ask me how I know!!!).

Geoff

If its not too much trouble, can you post more shots of the car (side, rear qtr panel). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Jofu said:
I went with the 275/40/17, which was (if I remember well) the tire combination that kept me as close as possible to the original (diameter ratio between front and back, I mean).

To tell you the truth, I wasn't pushing the car that hard for the time I had the F1's on, so I couldn't give you a fair comparison like others might...

The only difference I noticed -and that's the whole reason why I switched in the first place- is in the rain. The MPS clear much much more water than the F1's do, and are way more confidence inspiring in that environment.

Mind you, my car's a daily driver, so rain was a big factor for me, but if your car's only a weekend never-in-the-rain car, then the pluses for MPS might not be worth the extra cost.

Recently, since my rear tires are wearing down, I've been thinking of going with Nitto555R2's, which aparently hook like mofos :) But it would mean to go back to F1-level rain drivability :(

Hope this helps at all...

Geoff
Jofu

Have you pushed your car hard enough where AH became engaged? Has AH acted up at all? From what I've seen there is more than a trivial difference in the GYSCF1 ratio between stock tires and the replacement tire sizes you chose.

I am needing replacements and am seriously considering the Pilot Sports in the sizes you chose.

Thanks for your help

Jacob

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Jofu said:

Geoff
Looks great Geoff. This is the way I was going to go next time as well. I have the MPS in stock sizes now, and was going up next time. Maybe the PS2's. Wish they would come down a little in price. I have had mine in the rain every now and then, and as you say much better in the water. Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know a few people that put the Pilot Sports on and regret it now. The F1 supercar i think are one of the best out there, besides perelli. Like a few people posted, it depends on how you are driving your car. But I wouldnt recommend going with the Pilot's.

Matt

·
Registered
996 Posts
xxsimulaxx said:
I know a few people that put the Pilot Sports on and regret it now. The F1 supercar i think are one of the best out there, besides perelli. Like a few people posted, it depends on how you are driving your car. But I wouldnt recommend going with the Pilot's.

Matt
Personally, my only regrets about the Pilots is 1) they're expensive, and 2) they don't have better dry traction than F1's. As a daily driver tire for rain and shine, the Pilots are hard to beat in my opinion.

As I mentioned before though, I really want to go Nitto 555 R2's... If I needed 4 tires, that's what I'd get, but right now I don't want to mix my still-good front Pilot's with rear Nitto's... Unless somebody convinces me it's safe to do so :D

:cheers:
Geoff

1 - 20 of 32 Posts