Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://content.madirect.com/img300/602268.jpg

http://content.madirect.com/img300/602306.jpg

These are the splash/rock guards. I was looking at getting some but wanted input on whether you guys think they are worthwhile, have some and love em, or have some and hate em. My rocker panels are already a bit crappy from rocks but I wanted to repair them and maybe buy some of these to thwart further damage. I used to think they would look stupid on a vette, but that was until I saw the new ZO6 will have them! Suggestions on the best ones? Some are cheap and basic and some can match paint color and are more contoured. Comments welcome, thanks! :z:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Personally, I prefer the ones with Yosemite Sam on 'em, and "BACK OFF!" at the bottom of 'em.

But seriously, folks... I don't think these belong on a Vette.

Sure, you may get some rock chips on your rockers, and that might not look too great over time. But why admit defeat and put something that doesn't look too great on your car [now] in hopes of avoiding your rockers from not looking too great eventually?! Seems backward to me. You can always get the rockers fixed, and then the car will look great again. But the car sure isn't going too hot with mudflaps on it.

I'd look for better roads to drive on and leave the flaps to the semis.

-Kirk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yosemite Sam mud guards?

I haave had the same thoughts, but will put clear bra Xpel) on the rockers to prevent further heavy damage. Get em painted when I sell.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Mud Flaps belong on Trucks. Seriously though I guess they would be OK for a long trip to keep down stone chip. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
vettemann7 said:
http://content.madirect.com/img300/602268.jpg

http://content.madirect.com/img300/602306.jpg

These are the splash/rock guards. I was looking at getting some but wanted input on whether you guys think they are worthwhile, have some and love em, or have some and hate em. My rocker panels are already a bit crappy from rocks but I wanted to repair them and maybe buy some of these to thwart further damage. I used to think they would look stupid on a vette, but that was until I saw the new ZO6 will have them! Suggestions on the best ones? Some are cheap and basic and some can match paint color and are more contoured. Comments welcome, thanks! :z:
I am considering them. The tires throw a lot of road stuff up on the paint...also some clear bra type protectant around the wheel wells...Roads are what they are///laden with sand and rocks and you need all you can get going for ya

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you like them, do it. You might get them color matched to blend in a little more.

I'll probably put on some 3m clear guard or whatever it's called.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Try these, they look a little more countoured. You can buy them in colors or have them painted to match if they do not have your color. Seen them on a black 02 coupe and I personally think they look pretty good, but the whites and lighter colors :puke: They stick out way too much on the light colors.

xxxeditedxxx

·
Registered
391 Posts
Racer tape, aka 200mph tape

racer tape probably has a formal origin, but I believe it is any of the color versions of duct tape.. for my QS car, I use duct tape on the rockers. till i get the energy to smooth out the major damage and put clear xpel on them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
oops, I coulda looked a this good old boy's definition page that I Googled:

200-MPH Tape - "Racer's Tape." Duct tape, so strong it will hold a banged-up race car together long enough to finish a race.

·
Registered
308 Posts
:jawdrop: :puke:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My rocker panels and lower rear fenders were sandblasted into oblivion in the first few weeks I had it. There was no existing damage in that area before I bought it, and the person I bought it from did not drive it in the rain. Water blasts the paint and rocks rip it apart. It looks like fine, dirt colored spray paint but of course it's actually permanent damage. Really sucks. I tried the no drilling flaps from Ecklers -they were absurdly expensive, but before I drilled I had to know if I wanted the flaps on there for good. They are made from a semi-hard bendable plastic; the rear mount with one screw and a large clamp around the mufflers, and the front mount with two screws and a 5" steel plate which attaches to the rocker panel to support the bottom of the flap. I've still got them on and my only complaint is that the rear flaps want to turn towards the center.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes I have the molded ones. A bit of a pain to install but after 2 1/2 years and 26K miles, NO CHIPS. :eek::

·
Banned
809 Posts
I say either the Yosemite Sam flaps or these. Show your support for old number 3.

:usa: :usa:

Sal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts