Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this really works? any information is appreciated. I bought my car used and it already had it done to the tires.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Doesnt' do much for dry traction, only good for wet/snow, and supposedly tire wear. I'd advise against doing this to a performance tire.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I sometimes sipe my racing rain tires. This will add grip in the wet.

It will increase tread block deformation and heat on a dry surface.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
SIPING is done by placing your tires (new or used) on a specially designed machine that rotates your tires while making small virtually invisible 90 degree cuts in your tread. Don't be alarmed! Although the process is actually cutting your tread, it doesn't harm your tire in any way, it improves on it. Only under very close inspection can the SIPES even be seen, and you're more likely to tell by your improved driving experience than by visual inspection. Show me a video. You may be wondering if SIPING can weaken your tread see this animated presentation designed to answer this question.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TireSiping.shtml

·
Registered
629 Posts
I used to do that to the tires on my dirt track racecar, but not on anything else.

There didn't seem to be much of a difference in traction.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
IT L GO said:
SIPING is done by placing your tires (new or used) on a specially designed machine that rotates your tires while making small virtually invisible 90 degree cuts in your tread. Don't be alarmed! Although the process is actually cutting your tread, it doesn't harm your tire in any way, it improves on it. Only under very close inspection can the SIPES even be seen, and you're more likely to tell by your improved driving experience than by visual inspection. Show me a video. You may be wondering if SIPING can weaken your tread see this animated presentation designed to answer this question.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TireSiping.shtml

Good explanation! :jammin:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Most tires (including your factory Eagles) already have sipes. The horizontal lines that delineate the tread blocks on the stock tire are "sipes". You can add more, but if doing so provided any meaningful benefit, they'd come that way already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts