Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that GM build 199 special factory 1963 Stingrays and designated them "Z06". Question is, does anyone know why they picked Z06 -- what's the history on this designation?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a cool write-up ... thanks for the link /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

S

·
0 Posts
I read, from another source, that the Z06 could be ordered as a convertible, but nobody did.....

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

On 2001-08-11 22:18, speedy-gonzalez spewed forth this drivel:
I read, from another source, that the Z06 could be ordered as a convertible, but nobody did.....

According to a article written by Dave Hill. The Z06 is a separate car and not an option that can be ordered on any other model. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks alot Frank. That was a good article. I didn't know much about the Original Z. But what size was the engine, cus it didnt look like a big block?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

On 2001-08-12 08:47, RedZ06Vette spewed forth this drivel:
Thanks alot Frank. That was a good article. I didn't know much about the Original Z. But what size was the engine, cus it didnt look like a big block?
327 fullie /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I was a sophomore in HS in St. Louis in 1963, and a friend of my dad's bought a new Stingray. My dad did all the mechanical work on it, so I was pretty familiar with the car, and was able to drive it a few times. It ran like a banshee.

At the time, of course, I didn't know much about various Corvette models, so I don't think it was an 'official' Z06. However, it did have SOME of those attributes. It definitely had the 36 gal tank. It was minimally equipped .. I don't think it even had a radio. It was definitely a 327, but was NOT fuel injected. It had a BIG 4-barrel (I think a Carter, but I could be remembering wrong), and definitely had solid lifters. According to my dad, it was one of a few 375HP models that were made. It had a very lopey idle. The rearend must have been in the neighborhood of 4:10 or 4:11 .. I remember that at 60mph, the tach was at 3000 rpm. This car was a convertible, but I don't remember a ragtop .. I remember a removable hardtop. It was white/red.

I've been curious about this for some time. Can anyone provide any insight or history on this car or model. It's long gone now .. the idiot kept it until about 10 years ago and sold it for $17K .. I don't think he realized what he had. I didn't hear he was selling it until after it was gone ..
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
In 1962 Corvette came out with the Z06 option and it was available in the coupe only. It had FI, Metallic brakes w/11.25 drums, 36 gal tank, & F-40 suspension. When road racers wanted to modify the order, Chevrolet then offered the options separately and discontinued the Z06 option. The 1963 FI had the original "097" cam at 360 hp. In 1964 the FI had the "30/30" cam and 202 heads for 375 hp..(sound framiliar) but no Z06 option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts