Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This stuff is above my window and down around the door on both sides and in other spots near moldings. I want to use something to get it off without ruining the paint, but am wondering if anyone has had this on their car also and knows how to get it off. It looks to be some kind of adhesive or glue substance that was used to secure the moldings but got spread in other places. Any suggestions would be very helpful since it is an eyesore to annoyingly detail oriented people like me! Thanks! :z:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've got the same thing around my window plastic molding. I was wondering how to get rid of it also.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Could be adhesive. Go to a local body shop and talk to them.
I dont recall the name of the stuff but it will remove it without harming the paint.

Sabot

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have either of you tried using a clay bar? I use one myself and it takes nearly anything but the clear coat off... may want to check several brands.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I dont have that, I have silicone smeared throught my entire car. It's a leaky little bastard! Try using a clay bar, you will be amazed. :cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
you can also use the clay bar on windows and rims it removes all of the hard water spots as well

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine also had that. It was a while ago and I can't remember my exact actions, but I know that you should start with the least agressive solution first. First would be the clay bar, next would be bug and tar remover, 'orange' wipes, and if all else fails gasoline. A wax job follow-up afterward will be necessary. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I had it on mine. A Zaino clay bar took it off. :cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Speaking of WD-40. (This doesn't relate to the original thread - but it is cool anyway.) My son got a job of detailing a neighbor's car for resale. The back seat had several crayons melted and mushed into the cloth (really into the cloth). According to the Crayola web site, start with steel wool, then follow up with WD-40. Very weird suggestion, but it worked great! I am a WD-40 convert now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions. Sounds like I will try the clay bar and maybe some wd-40. Hope it works, I will let you all know. Thanks so much! :z:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think the sticky stuff is left over adhesive from shipping. I had it on mine and used the Zaino clay bar and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It is the adhesive for the plastic used to protect the paint when the car is new. I got crazy and used a cloth with goo gone and a hint of solvent to soften it up before gently scraping it off with my finger tip. It came out perfect and I followed up with some wax immediately thereafter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Goo-Gone or clay bar.....take your time w/it so you don't make deep scratches when you are trying to get it off...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Looks like the stuff that's applied to hold the plastic sheeting used to cover the car during shipping. I was able to use 90% Isopropyl alcohol and a soft rag to rub it off.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try using a hair dryer to soften the stuff up and use your finger to "roll" it off the paint.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
S-TEE said:
Looks like the stuff that's applied to hold the plastic sheeting used to cover the car during shipping. I was able to use 90% Isopropyl alcohol and a soft rag to rub it off.
That's what worked for me. :yeadog:
WD-40 had no effect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts