Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my B&M and find the stock knob too short and fat. I'm looking for something that is tall and leather wrapped like the ones found in trans-am's. It must screw on without any adapters or bushings-i beleive the thread is 9/16-18? Any vendors have something for me?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
fcalmes said:
Check this page out, several of our supporting vendors carry these.

http://www.sportscar-parts.com/shift_knobs.html
Eek! Frank, I think that most (if not all) of those knobs require some sort of set-screw frammus to hold them in place. I don't think the original poster wants that (and I sure wouldn't either).

-Kirk

PS -- I wonder if you could have a Hardbar knob wrapped in leather...

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I want a new knob too....wait, that could be misconstrued......

The worst part is not being able to hold them first.....The hardbar looks like the ticket, but I would have to try it.....

My next choice would certainly be a MOMO.....

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
N4C5S said:

The worst part is not being able to hold them first.....The hardbar looks like the ticket, but I would have to try it.....

JC
Dang, JC.. I would have showed you the Hardbar at Carlisle had I known you wanted to see one...

-Kirk

PS -- I hear you on the Momo's, Frank... And I REALLY like the look of a lot of the Momo's. I guess I wish they didn't need a set-screw (but with it having to face forward, maybe one is needed. Then again, my Hurst knob on my Cobra used a hold-back nut against the base of the shifter (that was threaded on the shaft). That was a good set-up...).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
new idea

I actually bought the hardbar-while I am pleased with it it's just too simple for me. It would be great if they made it about .25 in thicker and leather wrapped. This is what I'm going to do now. I ordered the shift knob of a 2000 T/A WS6-they come with the a tall leather knob which is not as fat as the stock one-the threads are are not 9/16-18 but that shouldn't be a problem. I'm just going to take it to my local machine shop and have them drill and tap it for the correct size.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
vortech,

Another option, take the hardbar to a good Leather shop have them wrap it in style and color of choice..........

·
Registered
417 Posts
First of all, I want to thank everyone for the tremendous response to this (Hardbar shift knob) product. As you know, LAPD is now selling them for us. The leather option is an interesting idea...what color would everyone like? I am always looking for input and I appreciate everyones' comments. When I was developing this knob, I made several diameters and settled on 1 3/8 after giving them to several people (racers and street). I must admit however, that style took 2rd place to functionally so that is why it does not have logos or shift patterns on it. The leather wrap idea is interesting to me. Any other ideas? First one to get it to me gets a freebee!
Thanks again,
Gary Hoffman
Hardbar.net LLC

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
att: Gary

If you can make it 1.625 in diameter and about 1/2 shorter with the shift pattern on top I would buy another one. The leather wrapping i can do without but it would be a nice touch-just give me a price on the above specs and I'll buy one guaranteed! Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
I could do 2 out of 3 for you...the shift pattern is the problem. We do have a 2 axis CNC mill but do not have an alphabet capable software suite for it.
Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts