Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was aware that Corvettes were doing well in Europe in the Lemans Series, but not much is televised in the USA on that.

But last month on Speed TV, I noticed a new 10-race FIA racing series with GT cars only (Chevy Z06, Aston Martin DBs, Lambo, Masarati, Nissan GTR, Ford GT, but no Ferrari). No USA drivers, but still interesting. The cars appear to be set up on the GT1 level. Chevy did not win, but showed many strengths. I think that the Z06 was unfairly restricted against the competition and the GTRs clearly were given much more power advantage to compensate for their weight and aerodynamics. At least they classified the Vettes as Z06's versus the Rolex or ALMS 460HP ZR1 class (???).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, I happened to catch those races on Speed too! Great racing, but I'm not sure of all the rules. They have a Facebook page as well, if you're looking for more info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I entered "auto racing" into my DVR alert words and all kinds of cool shows from Europe got tapped. Kind of a decent way to get through the off season!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I watched the whole season, it was some of the best racing I have seen in a while, other than on two wheels.

It was interesting to see how competitive the Ford GT's are still. But I agree I think that the Z06's were unfairly restricted. Also, I would like to know what kind of a V-8 those Sumo powered GT-R's were running (we know that the street version doesn't use a V-8) and they sure put the power down. All in all, it is a great chance to see DB9's, Murcielago's, Maser MC12's, Vette's, and Ford Gt's beat the hell out of each other.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I watched the whole season, it was some of the best racing I have seen in a while, other than on two wheels.

It was interesting to see how competitive the Ford GT's are still. But I agree I think that the Z06's were unfairly restricted. Also, I would like to know what kind of a V-8 those Sumo powered GT-R's were running (we know that the street version doesn't use a V-8) and they sure put the power down. All in all, it is a great chance to see DB9's, Murcielago's, Maser MC12's, Vette's, and Ford Gt's beat the hell out of each other.
In hindsight, I think you are right about the Sumo GTRs. I assumed that they were V6's with big turbos to carry that big heavy car with poor aerodynamic profiles so quickly. However, all of the audio on the GTRs defnitely screamed more of a V8 sound!

·
9,755 Posts
I accidently ran across one of those races and enjoyed watching - cool stuff!
I thought I read an article where Callaway-Europe was prepping the Vettes.
A couple of years ago I also found a race in Japan with similar cars (no Vettes though). It was cool seeing a McLaren F1 actually racing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The series is the FIA GT1 World Championship. The Corvettes are the ex-factory GT1 P&M cars from a few years ago. Now owned by European teams. They are competitive but heavily restricted by weight penalties..
The GTR's are V-8's........Nissan has built and sold 25 GTR's word wide that are RWD and V8 powered. This homologates [makes them legal] for world wide GT1 racing as a production car. The 6cyl. cars were not competitive. All the details of the cars and the schedule are on this website. All the races were on TV via the internet last season. I watched them all live.
BTW........Callaway builds the GT3 cars that are in all the worldwide series. They are more than competitive...they are the best car.

FIA GT1 World Championship - Official Site

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone (Europe friends or Corvette racing insiders) know what happened to Corvette's involvement in FIA GT?

I had not seen any FIA GT racing televised for awhile in the states, but noted that Speed has had a few races aired for the 2012 season. It was sad to see that there were Zero Corvettes involved in the field. The Ford GT was still campaigned and it has not been manufactured for about 6 years now! I noted that the Nissan GTR was absent as well.

The FIA GT series is the perfect series for Corvette fans, as ALL of the cars are true GT level, starting from big-power street sports cars (BMW Z4 an exception). My objection to all pro level road racing shown in the USA is that non-GT-level cars are allowed to compete against the Corvette, with the Corvettes castrated "to be fair" to the competition. For instance, BMW 3 series, Mazda RX8s and Camaros, start as street cars of a much lower potential than the Corvettes (ZR1 or Z06) and then are allowed signficantly more weight reduction, ground force increases and power increases to compete unfairly with the Corvette.

I stopped watching Rolex, as I grew tired of seeing Mazda RX-8s (when did they stop making them?), killing castrated Corvette "ZR1"s. Similary, for USA GT racing class, the Camaros and Cadillac CTS-Vs are killing the Corvettes again due to an uneven playing field. For me this has left only the ALMS as the only race series with Corvettes remaining the most-intact, that I will attend. If the merger between ALMS and Rolex continues the trend of mixing inferior cars into the GT class, I may not travel to any more ALMS races either. And no, the Daytona Prototype class "Corvette" in Rolex is no more a Vette than a Peugeot ALMS P1 class racer is mirror image of a street car.

I really enjoyed watching the FIA GT racing with the Corvettes, even though they did not trounce their competitors and I hope they return.

·
9,755 Posts
I centainly hope they don't water-down the ALMS GT class after the merger - that would suck! Like you, I got tired of seeing RX-8s and others seemingly beat the crap out of so many cars that would spank them stock-for-stock.
BMW will be racing the Z4 Coupes in ALMS this year - similar to the ones that raced in the European GT races - they're pretty cool looking.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I hear you brother! I also watched them live on the web, and in 2011, the corvettes were sponsored by bank china, painted red with their flag on it. Yikes! Well, that didn't last long, as there were no vettes in last year's races. The reason is that the series is really just a bunch of super wealthy "gentlemen drivers", such as the "prince of germany", and the heir to Ferrari (2 different people). They drive 30 minutes and then a professional driver tries to get the win, though sometimes they drive the second leg.
Audience turnout is appalling, and the series has collapsed. Gt3 is being standardized for gt1, and vice versa. Stephan Rotel is leaving, and who knows what's next, but I suspect some of those super rich will want to campaign the new corvette, and I can't wait to see the c7 kick euro butt.
Zteve06
Blk 02 z06
Austin,Tx

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I'm also anxious to see what happens with the merger. I just want to see good racing but a lot of americans don't care about real road racing.. only NASCAR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts