Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my first post. I got a black 2004 zo6, stock only limo tint so far. But I am having troubles finding a loud exhaust for $600 or less. I owned a 99 Firebird Formula LS1 before and welded a FloTech Cutout dump onto it. It came with a removable plate and 3 wingnuts.

Would this be stupid with a vette? Im low on $ right now. If any of you all could point me in the right direction I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have twin Flowmaster Y-cutouts just in front of the tranny with QTEC valves wired to a single switch in the ashtray location (about 3 seconds to toggle open or closed). I had to add significant heat shielding (mostly exhaust steel tubing cut in half) to protect the transverse spring (after snapping my original and maybe heat contributed...oops). Since it is cat-back it is technically smog legal but when open they are NOT noise legal. The sound is pure NASCAR and I like to say it scares the paint off other cars. Talk about deceleration popping! Haven't heard any exhaust sound this mean. And the cabin resonance at highway cruise speeds is like a back massage (strong vibes). The QTEC valves do eventually loosen and jingle badly unless you use some high-temp RTV to damp them when closed.

Anyway, my dyno testing shows a very minor gain in midrange (3 or 4 ft-lb) and absolutely no benefit at peak. I've had 'em for over a year but I'm likely to pull them back off (excess weight, not enough gain) but once in a while the devil on my shoulder whispers in my ear and I need to scare somebody on the road...

I don't see how any cat-back exhaust can claim any more power gain than I see with cut-outs (which is very little)? Anybody have a reason I should look into a 'real' cat-back exhaust for a power gain? Yeah, LT headers would be bitchin' but not for CA smog inspections...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
MelbaToast454 said:
Hi, my first post. I got a black 2004 zo6, stock only limo tint so far. But I am having troubles finding a loud exhaust for $600 or less. I owned a 99 Firebird Formula LS1 before and welded a FloTech Cutout dump onto it. It came with a removable plate and 3 wingnuts.

Would this be stupid with a vette? Im low on $ right now. If any of you all could point me in the right direction I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks :)
Check out twin tip B & B Bullets. They are very loud.

·
Registered
590 Posts
you say you want it loud

The Borla Stinger is pretty loud too. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mabye ill save up and go the safe route. What are the links to the B&B twin-tip Bullets AND Borla Stingers? :) thanks

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i've had them for over a year now. no problems whatsoever... no tickets either! cops love it :jammin: its nice to be able to quiet her down late at night

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If you want loud...

I would rather go with the B&B bullets than any other exhaust.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pick up some 2 tip B&B Bullets. I paid $500 2 months ago from TByrnwe delivered. See if they would match the price I got just before New Years. Everyone stops me to ask who make them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 tip B&B Bullets it is. I think Ill try Corvette Garage first for $529 , wonder how much my local muffler shop will charge to install them?
are they bolt-ons? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I ordered a set of McCord electric cut out's, so you have the best of both worlds.
Loud when you want it:yeadog:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
MelbaToast454 said:
2 tip B&B Bullets it is. I think Ill try Corvette Garage first for $529 , wonder how much my local muffler shop will charge to install them?
are they bolt-ons? :crazy:
Yes, they bolt on. It's actually not difficult at all. You just need a lift to get enough clearance. If I had a lift I would have installed mine myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Morzoff said:
I ordered a set of McCord electric cut out's, so you have the best of both worlds.
Loud when you want it:yeadog:
Damn, you too?

We should go for the install together. Maybe we'll get a discount!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well crap I CANT MAKE MY MIND UP! :) my buddy says the cutouts are illegal and all this bad stuff. Is he right or just dumb?

Also, please anyone with B&B exhaust clips? thanks for the cutout one wally. where exactly did you buy those, etc..

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
they arent illegal (besides noise) because they are after the catalytic converter, so its not like you are polluting more. i got my set of qtech's from pfyc.com . the qtechs have heald up great, no leaks and its been through salt, rain and the whole shabang... :yeadog:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was an awsome clip. it sounds SOO much more mean than when my 99 Firebird Formula had a FloTech cutout on it. Can't believe the sound difference between an LS1 and a LS6!

I am worried about finding someone that will install it correctly. When I put on my cutout on the firebird, the installer said, you SURE you wanna do this? as if only cheap cars have dumps.

:jawdrop:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts